Gemfields QLD

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all!!

Thanks for accepting me to the community!!

My partner and I are on our way to the Gemfields QLD for a few nights!

Any recommendations on good camp sites would be much appreciated! Any tips on where to start would also be welcomed!!

Any locals that live out that way and happy to share some knowledge be great to meet up!!

How have other people gone out that way?

Cheers
Justin

Tomahawk Creek between Rubyvale & Clermont is a designated fossicking area (sapphires) and a lovely place to bush camp & lots of shallow workings for you to extend thru back breaking hard labour :)

I have also heard from a couple of folk that O'Brien Ck near Mt Surprise is also a nice place to camp & fossick ( agate,topaz,aquamarine etc ).

If totally new to the game then best to start is by going out on one of the tag along type 1/2 day tours from Sapphire or Rubyvale- they will show you what you are looking for & let you use their equip. You WILL find sapphires, but prob not gem quality. Then the next days you can go out to the public fossicking areas by yourselves with confidence.

Last edited:
Gday Loo

This is great thanks heaps!
I am not brand new to it however still have a heap to learn as always haha!

I’ll check out Tomahawk creek sounds like just what we are after!! Cheers for the tips and advice!

You had any luck fossicking recently?

Cheers

I dont do much fossicking during summer. I'll be up that way in a couple of weeks as the start of my annual winter trip but I will be playing in Clermont then heading North then probably West this time. Lets see what the grass cover looks like up there.....
I just rode my motorcycle through the gem fields and Clermont, Charters Towers to Mt Garnet and Cairns, they have had a big wet season and tall grass everywhere, sorry to say.

Latest posts