G'Day team!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigSam

Samuel
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Man what an awesome community you have here!
The names Sam, I am extremely new to anything and everything to do with fossicking,
but i have watched over 50 hours worth on youtube videos on prospecting from panning, dredging, high banking &
even a series of "Berring Sea Gold", So Ive got a minimal idea of how SOME things work.

I reside on the Sunshine Coast in QLD and I'm going to get into the knack of panning, i know to some this will
seem like a "NEWBIE" question but hey, thats exactly what i am!
On the coast/surrounding areas where would
i be able to purchase some pans/classifiers? I have seen them on eBay but id rather keep it local and keep the
small business's in my area going. Even Brands/sizes would be a huge help if anyone has suggestions!

I really appreciate everyones passion & Knowledge on here, and hope one day i can return the favour!
Hoo-Roo guys,
BigSam.

Hi Sam.
Welcome to Prospecting Australia.
Yes there is a good group of helpful friendly people here abouts.
You can forget all you learnt about dredging... illegal in most of Oz. 8)
I have no idea on supplies in your area. A lot of us buy online as prospecting shops are not on every street corner.
Try some of the site sponsors. There is a link at the top of the page.
The Garrett pan and sieve set set is a great start. Very popular.

All the best, hope you see the shiny stuff in your first pan.

Cheers

Ramjet.

Welcome to the forum Sam. Very interesting and rewarding hobby you're about to involve yourself with. Research is by far the biggest element to gain reward, yet reward can come in a variety of forms which aren't golden in colour.

Hope you find the forum a great read and look forward to hearing about how the adventure unfolds.....best of luck,

Cheers Wal.

BigSam said:
Hello everyone,
Man what an awesome community you have here!
The names Sam, I am extremely new to anything and everything to do with fossicking,
but i have watched over 50 hours worth on youtube videos on prospecting from panning, dredging, high banking &
even a series of "Berring Sea Gold", So Ive got a minimal idea of how SOME things work.

I reside on the Sunshine Coast in QLD and I'm going to get into the knack of panning, i know to some this will
seem like a "NEWBIE" question but hey, thats exactly what i am!
On the coast/surrounding areas where would
i be able to purchase some pans/classifiers? I have seen them on eBay but id rather keep it local and keep the
small business's in my area going. Even Brands/sizes would be a huge help if anyone has suggestions!

I really appreciate everyones passion & Knowledge on here, and hope one day i can return the favour!
Hoo-Roo guys,
BigSam.

Hi Sam, welcome to the Clan.
I too live on Sunshine Coast- as far as local retail shops to purchase gear, well, we don't have any! Brissy or Gympie would be the closest to us mate. Best bet, as suggested by Ramjet, is to go online. Their are a couple of this Forum sponsors that I'm sure would be happy to help you out, especially if you need advice on the various bits of gear you might need.
As Wal mentioned, keep doing the research- that element NEVER stops; it can get a bit of a brain-drain doing it at times but it really is the best way to get some sort of idea of how to approach things in the field. You will find loads of helpful advice on this Forum from all the guys n gals- so get in & get dirty mate.

BumbleB :)

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!
I can't wait to get out there and hunt for some colour!

G'day BigSam, Welcome and congrats on your new baby boy!

Have a look at the DIY section, you can make a lot of gear yourself and the lads and ladettes on the forum are always happy to provide constructive feedback on you design questions and ideas..

I have been at this game for about 10 months now, I have not found a lot of gold, but I have always found some gold.... touch wood.

Support the sponsors if you can, they will give you a honest deal, some tips. If it is on ebay, check the source is reputable, put a link up to the item and someone will give you some feedback on the "bargain" you found... there are a lot of suspect ebay sellers targeting the prospecting community, BUYER BEWARE.

Research Research Research... and then when you have the answer, Research it.. I dont know how mobile you are, but Gympie area is a good start sport for you, there are a few spots around there you can go. Also out past Towoomba around Glendon??, have a look at the Aluvial Thread, many answers are there..

Good luck mate, you have set upon a journey of discovery and fun. A good sense of humor is the first thing you need in this game.

Cheers, Tone

Latest posts