Fossicking For Peridot at Mortlake, Vic

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

For those that love their peridot, or are looking for something different to add to their collection, there have been some changes to access to the council run quarry. I went there on Monday with my wife and a friend and you are now only allowed access on a Friday, or weekends by arrangement. Apparently Work Safe weren't happy! Best to contact the shire office on 03 5558 7888 prior to going. When you get to Mortlake, you need to go to the shire office to fill out an indemnity form, then they will radio or call ahead to let the guys at the quarry know you're coming. The guys are still very helpful and have made the experience even easier, so still good bombs and crystals to be found.

Sounds interesting but haven't a clue as to what Peridot is (will be on the Google machine when I finish here).
Would love to see some example from there bigbarra...
Happy hunting.
Cheers Tom

Hi Tom,

Peridot is a crystal that is formed in xenoliths or "bombs" and you break these open to reveal the crystals. It takes a fair bit of cracking before you find crystals that are bit enough for faceting.

1401448211_cushion_cut_amp_star_brilliant.jpg

I have enclosed some pictures as a "before" & after, with two stones cutting just over a carat each. They're a lovely stone.

Bigbarra said:
Hi Tom,

Peridot is a crystal that is formed in xenoliths or "bombs" and you break these open to reveal the crystals. It takes a fair bit of cracking before you find crystals that are bit enough for faceting.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...1401448211_cushion_cut_amp_star_brilliant.jpg

I have enclosed some pictures as a "before" & after, with two stones cutting just over a carat each. They're a lovely stone.

Thanks Big B, they look like lovely stones puts my meagre findings (of other stuff) from Daylesford to shame.
Just one question, what does an uncracked 'bomb' look like (photo anyone?) and where do they usually lie, are they imbedded in other rock or just loose?
Cheers Tom

Heatho said:
Nice stones, Peridot is a great stone, would really like to find some someday.

I think that there was a quarry somewhere around Prospect where you could find Peridot. Don't know exact location. Most likely it will be build over by now.
Karl

Hi Tom
I had a corn blue sapphire cut for a friend,which came from Daylesford.which was 5cts,the person who cut it could not believe that good of stone could be found there.

Thedigger

thedigger said:
Hi Tom
I had a corn blue sapphire cut for a friend,which came from Daylesford.which was 5cts,the person who cut it could not believe that good of stone could be found there.

Thedigger

Very nice, I'll keep looking between gold outing, happy just to have pretty looking clear stones in a few vials ... at least they fill quicker than my gold ones (but that will change I'm sure).

Cheers Tom

KarlS said:
Heatho said:

I think that there was a quarry somewhere around Prospect where you could find Peridot. Don't know exact location. Most likely it will be build over by now.
Karl

Pretty sure it's Prehnite at Prospect Karl. I think we have to travel a bit further for gem quality Peridot. Will look into it some more.

Hi Teemore,

Peridot bombs look like potatoes (the best way I can describe them) and they're rather heavy in comparison to similar rocks. They can be covered in basalt, which is quite porous. What you do is you find one of these bombs and crack it in your hand with a hammer and it should crack rather easily, but like most things when fossicking, not all bombs are gemmy. As they vary in size, colour etc I don't think a picture would do it justice. Why not make a trip to Mortlake? The foreman at the quarry, Keith is very knowledgeable and helpful and it's not hard to do. They're lovely gems when faceted and my wife loves them, so that's all that matters, really!

thedigger,

the sapphire that your friend found in Daylesford, do you know where he found it? Sapphires are my favourite gemstone (apart from Peridot!) and I would love to go fossicking closer to home for these rather than go to Inverell every year. :)

Hi Bibarra
No he never said where he got it,I am not sure whether he got with the dredge or pan.
But going back in the early eighties I worked with a chap called Le Franc,he and some others used to sluice around Eganston near Daylesford,before the war,and he told me that found gemstones,he never said what they were,because in those days they were looking for gold,and gemstones meant very little value to them,he said that they had them jar on self in the hut.
Sorry I can't give you a exact location,but a scratch around there,will tell whether it is worth a further look.

TheDigger

Heatho said:
KarlS said:
Heatho said:

Karl

Pretty sure it's Prehnite at Prospect Karl. I think we have to travel a bit further for gem quality Peridot. Will look into it some more.

Yes you are right, I got it mixed up. But I have found on some gem forum old entry from guy from Black Springs that Olivine crystals can be found there. Quote" area also produces some nice olivine crystals from vughes in the basalts (sledge hammer needed) and really big zircons" . What the hell are vughes?
Karl

Thanks TheDigger, I'll do some research and see what I can come with. It's always good to have a starting point.