Flinders Ranges

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitzygold

Mal Collins
Reaction score
Going to Hawker near the Flinders Ranges in a few weeks,as I'm relatively new to using my detector,would anyone know any nearby areas to try my hand,Thanks Mal. :(

I would like the answer to, I'm off to the Flinders on the 3rd Sep for a couple of weeks.

Won't take the GPX5000, but will take the new X-Terra 705 to try out.

I don't see why on the national park it won't be OK to detect, but they might not like you digging. As always private property it requires the owner's permission.

It is not on the approved SA list for fossicking so the answer is surely 'no go' on Crown Land?

loamer said:
It is not on the approved SA list for fossicking so the answer is surely 'no go' on Crown Land?

Even the "approved" list is in State Forrest land, very limited area and requires an entry fee at Mt Crawford.

As I said, if you are in the NP in the Flinders Ranges, then you should have paid the prescribed fee to be there. And, to repeat, wandering around with a detector is not fossicking until you start digging.

However, I'm going to be at Wilpena, so I will go into the Park Office and ask the question before I think about switching the detector on.

I'm also going to be on a Station for a week or so and again will ask the owner before going out.

Also, I would not be detecting for gold, only relic and coin.

"If you don't ask the question, you'll never get an answer."

Glitzygold said:
Going to Hawker near the Flinders Ranges in a few weeks,as I'm relatively new to using my detector,would anyone know any nearby areas to try my hand,Thanks Mal. :(

My advice, Take your detector with you, have a drink in the pub and chat to the locals. You never know what might crop up.

If you get there, find you could have and have left the detector at home..........bit too late

Big place that flinders! Haven't done any detecting up there but the locals in hawker are very interesting... Let's just say, the music stopped when we walked in the pub!!

Apparantly the ridge top of the ranges if loaded with uranium.

marshyboy said:
Big place that flinders! Haven't done any detecting up there but the locals in hawker are very interesting... Let's just say, the music stopped when we walked in the pub!!

Apparantly the ridge top of the ranges if loaded with uranium.

I want to see the sparkle of Gold, not glow in the dark....... :)

No gold, went around an old hut area on a station, found a couple of screws, then it got tooooo warm to detect.

So I, put the detector to bed and opened the Engel, not sure of the time of day, but it's beer o' clock somewhere in the world..... :)

Latest posts