First Time Out

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey folks...Today I had my first swing in the bush by myself with my Whites GMT...Only went for a few hours but really enjoyed it.
Didn't find any colour but plenty of bullets,lead and a few other little bits and pieces..Stumbled onto on open shaft that looked to be very deep but I wasn't getting to close to the edge to check it out..Hopefully if I am finding small rubbish bits the gold will eventually show itself...

Cheers...Sparra

If you want a tip make sure you visit goldfields where the leads were very shallow and rich in gold.

This way you know for sure the gold was/is sitting up near the surface since your machine is geared at

find the very small stuff that's primarily found sitting up near the surface missed by the old timers.

Good luck with it.

G'day Sparra, good luck with your detecting, the more you give it a go the more enjoyable it gets, go slow and low, listen to the experiences fellas, and find a mate whose been out there who can teach you the tricks of the trade, Wolfau has given you excellent advise, Scrubby52

Thanks for the reply's fella's...Its all new to me so it's it will take me a while to work it out but all the small bit's of info you guy's provide are all helping with the learning....

Cheers...Sparra

Mate the gmt goes good !
You should look for bedrock / shale and shallow ground
We're there are wash outs near diggings !
Shallow surfaced areas they love :)
Gold if its deep normaly will read 3 on the bar if its an e series
And drop to 1 when you get on top of it ;)

Latest posts