Crevicing Question???

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngusKeene

Formerly (StinkyPete1977)
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if some of you more experienced prospectors out there could give me a little advice. The other day I found a relatively 'unflogged' area of a river with a mixture of large rocks, exposed bedrock and gravel bars etc. I found this one really large piece of rock on the bank which ran horizontal to the river for a few meters much like a large riffle. In the middle of this rock was area that had been eroded away almost like a series of mini cascading waterfalls, where I some a considerable amount of time crevicing a fair amount of small flakey flood gold out of.

The question is...would it be worthwhile digging the back side out of this rock formation down to the bedrock etc? I estimate it's probably about one to two meters deep consisting of gravel and potatoe sized rocks. This place in question is a fair walk up a river and I can't really take the Highbanker so I'm just Sluicing.

Hay AK,
You won't know unless you have a look.
When you say the rock runs " horizontal" do you mean 90 deg to the water flow.
Is this rock bedrock or a large floater? Either way if you are getting flakes from up higher you will more than likely get some behind it as well.
I'd give it a go.

Cheers
Mick

Yeah its 90 deg to the flow of the water, thanks for your advice. I suppose the only thing to do now is go and dig it out etc.

I would certainly get in and dig that sucker out.
Make sure you brush up every last bit too.
Cheers and good luck.
Brad....

Best gold should be at the very bottom of the crevice so if you're finding some before you hit the bottom then I should be a good'n.

I'd def keep going with the area

If you think it is a couple of meters to the bottom, dig out about 30 cm deep ever 50 cm across the back of the rock, if you get gold each hole dig a channel, across the back and then again about 1 m further back, look for colours, dont get to fussy, just look for the concentration of gold flakes or pieces at the back, if it is everywhere thne dig another 30 and test again, the gold will more likely be in a "patch"

Have a look at this link, it gives a bit of info..

http://www.angelfire.com/ga4/orlandogpaa/StreamGold.html

Take a look at the pic 4th from the bottom, check the spots marked "B"

good luck, Tone

Latest posts