Check yourself for Ticks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this on facebook, so I thought I would copy & paste.
Worth a read.
Cheers Dozer

This could be the most important thing that you see me post! Its an epidemic this year, and these things are as lethal as a venomous snake in the wrong senerio! Please not only read it, but share it! Make sure we get the word out about these tics and the disease they carry!

It's summer! Time for camping, hiking and getting outside to play. Don't let those pesky annoying ticks stop you. Here's how with a simple homemade solution!

Repellent for your pets:

For pets, add 1 cup of water to a spray bottle, followed by 2 cups of distilled white vinegar. Ticks hate the smell and taste of vinegar, and will be easily be repelled by this ingredient alone. Then, add two spoonfuls of vegetable or almond oil, which both contain sulfur (another natural tick repellent).

To make a repellent that will also deter fleas, mix in a few spoonfuls of lemon juice, citrus oil, or peppermint oil, any of which will repel ticks and fleas while also creating a nicely scented repellent. Spray onto the pet's dry coat, staying away from sensitive areas including eyes, nose, mouth, and genitals. When outdoors for an extended period, spray this solution on two to three times per day.

For you and your family:

In a spray bottle, mix 2 cups of distilled white vinegar and 1 cup of water. To make a scented solution so you do not smell like bitter vinegar all day, add 20 drops of your favorite essential oil.

Eucalyptus oil is a calm, soothing scent that also works as a tick repellent, while peppermint and citrus oils give off a strong crisp scent that also repel ticks.

After mixing the solution, spray onto clothing, skin, and hair before going outdoors. Reapply every four hours to keep ticks at bay, and examine your skin and hair when back inside to make sure no ticks are on the body.

If you have ever shared anything, please click share on this! WE must get the word spread about the dangers of Ticks and how to avoid them!
~share~share~share~share~share
find more like this at Weight...No Longer!
for the best DIY, Information, recipes, home remedies, and plain funny stories follow me Roger Howard

That new mole I thought I just noticed well it had legs that moved when I took a close-up photo with my iPhone. :eek:

Just got it off now. Head removed ok. First time had a bush tick where I go digging.

A quick swim in OFF! Tropical strength, about 6 bucks.
Keeps all the Big and the odd small Nth Qld bugger bugs OFF! Lasts all day, but will not keep crocks away!
Some of these can really mess you up!

Protect your skin, it keeps your insides in!! :)

we used to get them up at mildura - mum would light a match and blow it out then put the hot head on the back of the tick and theyd pull out real quick

Nearly lost our dog to a tick earlier this year, never be to careful, this was at home, dog was off his food and generally being a sook, he is usually a bag of jumping beans..

The Tick was a paralysis tick and was embedded on his nose.

Signs were being a sook, then started to walk a bit wobbly at the hind quarters and only walking a meter or so and then sitting/laying down.

Thanks for the Home Remedy/deterrent there Dozer, going to make up a batch and spray the dogs and cats with it.. will be fun to watch the cats when they get the treatment..
Is it mean if i video and share for our enjoyment??

Cheers, Tone

TenOunce Tone said:
Nearly lost our dog to a tick earlier this year, never be to careful, this was at home, dog was off his food and generally being a sook, he is usually a bag of jumping beans..

The Tick was a paralysis tick and was embedded on his nose.

Signs were being a sook, then started to walk a bit wobbly at the hind quarters and only walking a meter or so and then sitting/laying down.

Thanks for the Home Remedy/deterrent there Dozer, going to make up a batch and spray the dogs and cats with it.. will be fun to watch the cats when they get the treatment..
Is it mean if i video and share for our enjoyment??

Cheers, Tone

Not at all Tone, in fact it would be a shame not to and to deny us of this learning experience :D
Have 2 cats myself and if I can learn anything that will help them then thats a bonus ;)
And if we all get some enjoyment out of it then thats just another bonus. Video away I say :D

I found this little SOB burrowed into the back of my neck this afternoon :mad:. I suspect I picked it up from work today but it's a reminder to check oneself after spending time out in the bush.

1410249521_son_of_a_tick.jpg

I had this emailed to me a while ago.

VERY GOOD ADVICE for here in AUSTRALIA now that it is TICK SEASON with the warm weather

Tick removal

Spring will be here soon and the ticks will soon be showing their heads.

Here is a good way to get them off you, your children, or your pets.

Give it a try.
Please forward to anyone with children... Or hunters or dogs, or anyone

who even steps outside in summer!!

A School Nurse has written the info below -- good enough to share --

And it really works!!

I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick.

This is great, because it works in those places where it's some times difficult

to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark hair, etc.

Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked

cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20), the tick will come out on its own

and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away.

This technique has worked every time I've used it (and that was frequently),

and it's much less traumatic for the patient and easier for me.

Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be damaging in any way.

I even had my doctor's wife call me for advice because she had one stuck to her back

and she couldn't reach it with tweezers. She used this method and immediately called

me back to say, "It worked!"

Please pass on. Everyone needs this helpful hint.

I never get any ticks, just crosses. :p
does a certain species only, cause Lyme disease ? there has been a lot of coverage about it recently.

I have a cousin that caught Lyme's disease from a Tick bite. She is a very sick lady, and has been receiving treatment for over 6 months now.

slipped disc said:
does a certain species only, cause Lyme disease ? there has been a lot of coverage about it recently.

I don't know much about them so I couldn't tell you. I'll be keeping an eye out for the buggas though.

Oldfella said:
I have a cousin that caught Lyme's disease from a Tick bite. She is a very sick lady, and has been receiving treatment for over 6 months now.

Can they cure lyme's disease?

Oldfella said:

Sorry to hear that O.F. it is a devastating disease from the docos I've seen. slow to be recognised in aust. and therefore
the treatment/cure is wonting. :eek:

If its caught early enough I believe it can be cured, if left undiagnosed, as is often the case here in Australia as its relatively new here, it can put you in a wheel chair permanently. My Cousin describes it as if she has bad arthritis in all her joints and persistent headaches, she can no longer work.

Thanks slipped disc. As a precaution, the wife and I always check each other out for Ticks after we have been roaming around the bush. She got 2 off me last summer after a fossicking trip up north.

Problem is, a lot of GP don't believe limes disease is here.
Took over 12 months to correctly diagnose limes in a relative, it has a large negative impact on health. If you are crook & have had a tick ask your GP for the appropriate tests, insist if necessary.

Latest posts