Cheap metal detectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gcause said:
Don't touch eBay too many shonky operators people have received empty shells instead of working metal detectors. You've got a minersden in Sydney and I'm sure there's an anaconda store nearby.

Thanks for the tip

Nothing wrong with ebay if you buy smart. There's this thing called a feedback system. Check a sellers feedback before you buy and make sure it's not just 100% but also that they've been in business a long time (300+ feedback score)

Ebay may be shonky for some people after gpx5000's, but I have never had an issue on ebay, it's Gumtree that you should be steering clear from, only buy off them if the detector owner lives near you, and you can personally see and test the goods.

Nearly all my detector have come off ebay, some locally, some from the US. Never had an issue, an have always dealt with honest sellers with good feedback. There are some serious $$$ to be saved buying a second hand detetor from abroad, sometimes more than half what you would pay here, and that's including postage. So long as you aren't too fussed on warranty, or are willing to send the unit back to the US for repairs, or pay for it to be fixed locally from our dealerships. The only detector I wouldn't buy from overseas is a gpx5000.

I feel we are getting off topic suggesting expensive PI detectors, when the stated budget is only in the $200-300 range. If you want to get into gold detecting on a meagre budget (as not everyone has thousands to spend), there is nothing wrong with making use of some of the older Minelab, White, Fisher and Tesoro detectors out there. Whilst not in the same league as the latest detectors, many people still own and use them, sometimes quite successfully. The learning process on these detectors can be fun and very educational for a first time gold detectorist, and will hold them in good stead should they chose to upgrade in the future.

Detectors that come to mind include older Minelab detectors (FT16000, XT17000, Gold Striker), all have auto ground tracking, but the better picks are the 17000 and striker with the higher 32kHz frequency for small gold, whilst the ft16000 is more about depth than sensitivity to small gold.

Whites models include the Goldmaster 2 and V/SAT models, both excellent for small gold, running very high frequency at 50kHz which is hot for small gold, and similar frequency to the current model GMT. Both have manual ground balancing, with the V/SAT model having the edge with its adjustable vsat controls.

Older Tesoro Lobo models are still well regarded for finding gold, the australian released model was called the Dingo, but is pretty rare with its Australaia only changes to the ground balance capabilites for our hot ground. They also come with good discrimination and manual ground balance controls. A normal lobo should still be considered.

Fisher had the original Gold Bug on offer, it also had manual ground balancing, and was quite the detector in its day. You see some of these pop up on ebay and forums from time to time.

Garrett had the Scorpion Gold Stinger, which was quite a sensitive detector despite its lower frequency, but has a bit of a learning curve. It has some quite good features, but was let down by requiring 3 9v batteries to power it.

Basically don't bother with any of the cheapy chinese or cheap coin detectors, none have the ability to ground balance to make them usable on the typical hot goldfield soils, at least the above models do have that ability to a degree, so that's one step in the right direction. Accessory coils are still available for most of the above listed detectors, minelab apparently no longer service their older models, but I believe Tesoro, Whites, Fisher and Garrett will still do repairs (some may require shipping to the US).

Don't be afraid to look to the US for buying these, they are more common over there, and can be had quite cheaply. Many of these detectors when sold in Australia still command good prices, despite originating from the 80's-90's, as they are generally sought after by either people just starting out, as well as collectors. Other than that, ask around on the forum, some members may have older unused detectors they may want to part with.

Myself, I have a softspot for the old Whites Goldmasters, very sturdy and capable machines, plus you can still get gear for them (three different coils, shafts, battery packs etc). :)

Anicefeeling said:
I've been reading up I've narrowed it down to the Minelab eureka gold or Whites Goldmaster 2

Good luck with your purchase. If going this way the GMT may be the way to go because it has a minerals in ground check.

My reply may not be any use to you since your decision has been made but may help someone else reading this post.

If I was approached and asked which detector to buy which represents the best value it would no doubt be a 2nd hand Tesoro Lobo
which I have seen sell for less than $350 on one particular Auction site.

Why this machine?

Well firstly because I have used the Dingo which is very similar and have found gold with it and its built light and strong and have
a lifetime warranty so if you have an issue its just a matter of sending the unit back. The other being due to its popularity not being
as high compared to other newer machines due to digital meters, fancy brochures, marketing and eye catching videos it attracts less
bidders when one gets sold.

I have also seen a couple sell for around $280 some where heavily used.

The only thing the Lobo needs is a 6" widescan dd if you can find one and boy oh boy when it zaps over a nugget its a sweet
distinctive zap - zap.

In the past 2 years I also purchased and tested a new At Gold (which was sold) and Teknetics G2 (which I kept)
which has a 5" Nel coil and is awesome among iron trash.

The price of a 2nd hand Lobo is a very small outlay compared to $700 or $1000 which is about 1/3rd of a very capable 2nd hand Gold Pi machine.

Always pay with Paypal and Paypal have an office based in Sydney if you have any issues.

When buying just check the sellers feedback and ask a question and gauge the seller by his or her reply and how prompt they are.

If shipping to Aus is not available I use shipito. Basically parcel gets sent to my US shipito account I get an email and then
organise for the item to get shipped to Melbourne.

I have purchased 4 detectors from the US and never had an issue.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for reading and good luck with it.

Thanks Wolf I've checked eBay and gumtree nothing online but a couple in the US but pretty expensive.
Those other 2 are up around the $1000 I'm willing to spend and I'm only after nuggets unless you something comes along.
Any other detecters you know of other than the lobo?

Anicefeeling said:
Thanks Wolf I've checked eBay and gumtree nothing online but a couple in the US but pretty expensive.
Those other 2 are up around the $1000 I'm willing to spend and I'm only after nuggets unless you something comes along.
Any other detecters you know of other than the lobo?

Just be patient.

Make sure you view the .com auction website though.

You can also keep an eye for the 2 your interested in as well.

You might pick these up cheaper.

Its about stetching the dollar thats my thinking.

I lost $200 on the AT Gold and had a hard time selling it.

And make sure you have a miners right.

You know what else is fun but off your topic?

A small highbanker you can pop the front into
A large bucket that recycles the water.

Take water and highbanker near a creek somewhere
And throw some soil in and try your luck or you
Can use a pan.

Have fun..

If your budget is now up to $1000, forget about the Eureka and GM2, and go for a second hand Whites GMT, Gold Bug2, older Minelab SD2000/2100, or even the Minelab F1A4. All proven to find gold, and probably give you a better chance than the older detectors. All the minelabs can be modified at a later date to improve their capabilites, but will ultimately be able to handle hot ground and ignore most hot rocks, vs the GMT. But the on the other hand, the GMT excels at small gold, will work well in the right areas, and is still being sold/serviced here, which may be a real purchasing incentive.

If the budget is $1000 you might as well save the extra $200 and get the new whites P I it's $1195
Then you can't complain when you can't find any gold as it will be operator error.

Personally if buying a detector my money
Will be spent on something that has proven
Itself as a gold prospecting machine.

If the new whites can be hired i will do just
That and compare it to my 3500 and will test
It on ground that is litered with hot rocks
And ironstone.

I did try the TDI Pro but the threshold hum
On my hire unit was not really smooth
Which i was told the storms far away may
Interfered with it.

The gold i have seen been found in the triangle
With an 11" mono coil has been tiny maybe 1/4
The size of a match head by an experienced
Operator.

You cannot compare the Tdi to any other detector yes it's a pulse induction machine but is a class of its own it does so many different things that other detectors struggle with. It will work fine in all conditions after minor adjustments, yes we know it doesn't go as deep as the minelab! We all know this but the minelab struggles in some areas because of this.
$ for $ I know what I'd buy.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
You cannot compare the Tdi to any other detector yes it's a pulse induction machine but is a class of its own it does so many different things that other detectors struggle with. It will work fine in all conditions after minor adjustments, yes we know it doesn't go as deep as the minelab! We all know this but the minelab struggles in some areas because of this.
$ for $ I know what I'd buy.

What other things does the TDI do that other detectors struggle with? Not sure if your talking about tdi vs vlf.

After purchasing several vlf detectors I decided to test a couple pi's before making up my mind.

I don't care what unit I use as long as it works and the purchasing price is fair.

I looked at resale value as well. I tdi with several coils including a NF sold for less than $1400 back early this year
and I felt for the bloke. The more pi detectors offered for sale the better it is for everyone.

Just hope one day soon Tesoro build a Pi for the Goldfields because I think it could be a good one.

I also tested the 4500 and that was a beauty to use.

I decided on a GP 3500 and with an 11"dd, 18"dd and a minelab 15x12 which I snapped up for $1800.

Add $275 for some mods and its all good from there.

The main point is as long as your using something your happy with and enjoying the great outdoors that's all it matters.

I think I'd keep saving my dollars up download some instruction manuals and go hire that machine
There will be a detector that will suit your needs & price.

Wolfau' I was refering the TDI to all detectors in general but there is a few things it will do that some of the top minelab machines can't and it will do this with the std mono coil' like operate inside my house, work on the beach under a radio tower, also has an amazing disc mode using the high & low conductor switch Which will in return allow it to be used as a great coin & relic detector, There's lots of different variables that just place it in its own class.
it won't go as deep as the leading brand ? Nope but my GMT won't either and it finds gold, the wifes Has found her share with the GMZ too.

Where in NSW mate? How far from bennalla?

Latest posts