Centenary of Mining Disaster

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teemore

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Today marks 100 years since Bendigos worst mining disaster in which 7 men were killed in an explosion at the Greater Hustlers's Gold Mine.
Not the worst mining disaster but a reminder of the dangers these blokes faced working 2 or 3 km drives up to a km underground.
Bendigo is planning special events at the site to commenerate the disaster.
Tom.

Very sad indeed.

I just came across this on Facebook for those able to and interested in attending.

1399017121_miners.jpg

R.I.P to the brothers lost underground, Unexpected things happen down there, we all look out for each other, working away 2-1,3-1,4-1 rosters your workmates know you almost as much as your real family do, brotherhood is an understatement, be safe out the guys.

Interesting story. The mine manager scrambled to see if anyone could be saved, and the company helped the widows in a time before compensation was a given. Glad to see the locals have the mind to observe this event, unfortunately i have to work or i would attend this, it would be a great couple of days to engage the mind.

Latest posts