cabbing machine.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question about a cabbing machine. I picked this grinder up cheap and just doing a bit of a clean up on it. What I am wondering is what the best set up for the water feed is. It did not have anything set up on it other than the tubes when I got it so I am not sure of the best setup. Do they run off a gravity fed system or do you use a small pump pumping from a reservoir. Also do the end wheels require a water system as well. One end does not have anything on it at the moment but the other end has a felt / leather type disc attached.
1468747575_saw_and_grinder.jpg

1468747644_grind_water.jpg

1468747672_grinder.jpg

A gravity system works well but if you want them all fed by the same supply you may be able to make a setup like a float valve to open a water supply or similar. Also keep drainage in mind. A spray bottle probably gets used on the ends for polishing at a guess

Thanks for that AtomRat,

I have found a video on a gravity fed system that looks good, so I will looking at doing that. I will just add a tube to the reservoir tray and run it into a bucket for drainage. I am also going to look at adding a light to it as well that I can swivel from side to side. Eyes are not what they use to be... 8)

Looks like you are getting yourself a nice setup.
I use a 20 ltr water container with a tap on the bottom (the type you take camping) and 10mm clear hose with 13mm clamps from bunnings.
20 liters keeps my two wheel grinder running for a decent time, but if i need longer just drip feed a hose into the top.
As for lighting i brought a desk lamp/magnifier that clamps to the desk from j-car. The light is adjustable, but still gives great light from a distance and the magnifier is handy to check cabs for scratches.

Thanks shivan, will look into a similar set up. I will have a wander around Bunnings over the next couple of days to see what sort of lights they have. (any reason to wander around Bunnings is a good reason in my books....). Is there a Jcar up Nowra way? If so I may have to go for a drive up there.

Just last night looking at rock tumblers on Aussie sapphire they have a head lamp with 4 interchangeable lenses with a led light for $20 or so seemed like great value. It's on my wish list.

I know that they say there is never a dumb question but this one may go close. I have just brought the 8 inch velcro disc system for one of the end plates on my grinder. I received the hook disc which goes on the end plate. First question, is it better to have a padded backing between the velcro disc and end plate or just stick the disc straight to the end plate. Second question, what is the best glue to do this. I was expecting the velcro disc to already have a sticky back on it but it does not. When I take the paper off the back of it, the paper is sticky but the disc is not.

My plan is to have the two main grinding wheels (100 and 220), one end disc to be interchangeable with different finer grade discs (I have 600 and 1000 so far) and the other end to be just for polishing.

Personally i use rubber backing behind the diamond discs, it allows the disc to slightly conform to the cab's shape.
I have not used velcro myself, i was looking at doing a magnetic system, but decided in the end to get three over a couple of months and just have the different grits on different plates. My set up is similar to yours with 100 and 220 wheels and 320, 600, 1200 end plates, i just need to get a 3k, 14k and 50k end plate.

You should be able to get a spray on adhesive to attach the velcro, i was told what to look out for , but have forgoten as i did not need it as the disc's and rubber i got, were self backed with adhesive. Funny yours was not if it had paper backing, did you try applying some pressure to the back side of the velcro?

Latest posts