Brisbane Queensland. G'Day Everyone

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'Day everyone, ihave been watching YT vids for the past 2 weeks or so about MD and i think im hooked. i just purchased one of the real cheap metal detectors from ebay, dont expect to find much but anything i can save for a proper kit will help. any advice or tips would be great as i havent done much research on anything, just thought it would be great to get outside and excersize for a bit. Cheers.

Welcome mate. You can air test the detector to work out depths and what not. Get yourself a bunch of different coins and jewellery and wave it in front of the coil in a side to side motion, you will need a ruler or tape measure to measure the distance where the signal drops off. Air testing is only used as a rough guide as ground conditions and other environmental variations can effect depth penetration. Other than that just get out there and start detecting, this is the best way to learn your machine. Also make sure you dig all targets until you fully understand what the detector is telling you.

Here is a video on how to air test, the guy in the video is using a different metal detector to yours but the principles are the same.

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/SL0YhMpFwas[/video]

Would you like me to fix up your username?

welcome Dnnks. Like many other things, time spent in the saddle is the best way to learn.
Look forward to hearing about your first find.