best method to use to find gold?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Wal said. The fringes and beyond can be some of the best spots.
But its a gamble. You could find nothing. Then again you just might find a spot that maybe only a few people have found in 150 years. And these my friend can really pay off.
Yes you are on the right start. It's all about research.
And think outside the box.
Some of my best finds have been outside the borders of gold bearing ground
A small hidden pocket
And asking questions and speaking to people can really help
You can also learn a lot by just being out there
Why was gold found here and not 10m away.
It's all experience. You learn from your mistakes and remember the days that payed off.
I hope this helps a little.
Cheers Kane.

The desert gold areas still have not been flogged out for those who use a dry washer , learn how to dry pan first to quickly test spots .

Good Luck .

WalnLiz said:
"To go where no man has gone before", is great if you're on the "Enterprise" in "StarTreck", but the reality with gold is it forms in very specific locations, and beyond the fringes of these locations it's very difficult to find anything worthwhile. It's a big country and unfortunately the gold bearing side of it is extremely small and defined.

Stick to the known gold bearing areas and their fringes and you will be better rewarded for your efforts.

Cheers Wal.

Correct me if I;m wrong but every place that people go to find gold was discovered my man and word of mouth was used to allow us to go there right? In the gold rush how likely would it of been that a guy just one day was having a walk down the greek or whatever and saw this shining thing, he went up to it and picked it up, held it up in the air and said GOLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

I know what you're saying wal but how cool would it be if you found a place that no one has ever dug up? experiencing what the people experienced in the gold rush. ah! just dreams though =(

Would be fantastic mate to find such a location, and don't get me wrong, in some of the far outback regions small areas have been missed. If you research how and why the old timers reached their gold, you would be extremely amazed at their diligence and the amount of footwork they had to do to find the elusive metal.

There is barely a creek in Australia (other than in the deserts), that the old timers did not walk up and sample as they wandered from gold field to gold field. Even all the early pastoralists sampled the creeks on their properties. The old timers used the creeks as their highways and they knew what they were looking for.

Apart from the old timers the new generation of "Big Boys", using satellite imagery and helicopters combined with advanced seismic sampling and extensive computer generated views from geological mapping, put a dampener on that elusive "Lasseters Reef" dream.

But like you say...we have to keep the dream alive.... but if you want to find some consistent gold I would still look for what the Old Fellows left behind, and believe me they left an awful lot behind for those willing to go the extra yard and chase it. ;)

Cheers Wal.

WalnLiz said:
Would be fantastic mate to find such a location, and don't get me wrong, in some of the far outback regions small areas have been missed. If you research how and why the old timers reached their gold, you would be extremely amazed at their diligence and the amount of footwork they had to do to find the elusive metal.

There is barely a creek in Australia (other than in the deserts), that the old timers did not walk up and sample as they wandered from gold field to gold field. Even all the early pastoralists sampled the creeks on their properties. The old timers used the creeks as their highways and they knew what they were looking for.

Apart from the old timers the new generation of "Big Boys", using satellite imagery and helicopters combined with advanced seismic sampling and extensive computer generated views from geological mapping, put a dampener on that elusive "Lasseters Reef" dream.

But like you say...we have to keep the dream alive.... but if you want to find some consistent gold I would still look for what the Old Fellows left behind, and believe me they left an awful lot behind for those willing to go the extra yard and chase it. ;)

Cheers Wal.

I wish I had you're knowledge I would be finding nugget's in no time, but I am still a noobie with just a pan that has got nothing but dust gold (I think that's what you guy's call it?) I hope to be as good as you one day. I enjoy watching you're youtube video's and Liz is always fun to listen too =) I am only 21 so who knows what other method's might come up in 30 year's time =) All the best

You're at the right age where swinging a shovel and a pick is just a walk in the park. Spend your spare time researching and reading between the lines on Forum posts and you will be amazed how quickly you can climb up the prospecting ladder. Try to get out with some of the veterans occasionally and listen to what they have to say.

Trial and error is a common avenue to gaining experience, and this can be dramatically reduced by attending gatherings and outings where seasoned prospectors generally pass on their own experiences.

Hope you get out and experience the rewarding hobby this pastime creates, and best of luck out there in this vast prospecting paddock.

Cheers Wal.

WalnLiz said:
"To go where no man has gone before", is great if you're on the "Enterprise" in "StarTrack",

That was a ripper mate , gave me a good laugh :D thanks .

What also amuses me is the number of people buying very expensive detectors then spending heaps on extra coils thinking they have an advantage when detecting ground that has been flogged continuously for the last 35 years !

lshallperish said:
WalnLiz said:
"To go where no man has gone before", is great if you're on the "Enterprise" in "StarTreck", but the reality with gold is it forms in very specific locations, and beyond the fringes of these locations it's very difficult to find anything worthwhile. It's a big country and unfortunately the gold bearing side of it is extremely small and defined.

Stick to the known gold bearing areas and their fringes and you will be better rewarded for your efforts.

Cheers Wal.

Correct me if I;m wrong but every place that people go to find gold was discovered my man and word of mouth was used to allow us to go there right? In the gold rush how likely would it of been that a guy just one day was having a walk down the greek or whatever and saw this shining thing, he went up to it and picked it up, held it up in the air and said GOLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

I know what you're saying wal but how cool would it be if you found a place that no one has ever dug up? experiencing what the people experienced in the gold rush. ah! just dreams though =(

Things were different mate....whole vast areas were virgin, and it didn't take them long to look at every nook and cranny, just think how a place would look with 10,000 pairs of eyes (or more!) all scouting and collecting up whatever they could. Then they went deep and then deeper. Just because the technology wasn't available doesn't mean they were uneducated or impractical, they were methodic and hardworking, and they had an edge, alot of virgin gold, previously untouched, a location was "proved" it wasn't a secret for long. often we speak in grams, some of their operations spoke in ounces and ounces per tonne. If your dream translates into enthusiasm, and dedicated research, and an insatiable desire to dig that bit bit deeper wider longer, or walk more miles swinging, and dig more targets, and loan more hillsides, well you could just find handfuls of it yet. Only the ways i know how to get more (short of that long shot virgin ground), dig more, swing more, research better, or have better equipment and use itbetter.

To address the original question of best method to use to find gold , it's a pan but then there are so many other methods available , Like to hear what Wal thinks first :) as I respect his knowledge .

Exactly like you Outback. The first thing i would invest in is a good set of "Hiking Boots", followed closely by a decent gold pan (Super Sluice) and then the biggest mother of a screw driver i can get my hands on. Then when no one is looking i would sneak into the kitchen and pinch a table spoon. Tools of the trade for a Noobie are now sorted.

The biggest failure for most prospectors is lack of learning the basics, and many strive to "Run" before they "Walk". Not much use jumping into the more advanced methods such as High-bankers when one doesn't grasp the basics of where the gold trail lays, and then expects dramatic results.

Crevicing and in-stream loaming (call it sampling if you want), takes time and effort to master, and many a newcomer takes this task on like a bull at a gate, and misses the little things that form the bigger picture.

Learn to use a gold pan well and learn to wear out a set of boots "regularly" and the rewards will follow.

Wal.

Stick to the topic guys, whether it b a million dollar operation or a backyard warrior a gold pan is the best way of prospecting for payable amounts of gold .Perseverance and persistence goes a long way. King regards and no arrogance intended. ...

Latest posts