Banned locations on eBay ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking to buying something on eBay from China & noticed they wont sell to the following places , is that because these joints are full of crooks or some other reason ? :|

Excludes: Africa, Asia, Middle East, Southeast Asia, South America, Albania, Andorra, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Republic of, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, Ukraine, Vatican City State, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Netherlands Antilles, Nicaragua, Panama, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Virgin Islands (U.S.), American Samoa, Cook Islands, Fiji, French Polynesia, Guam, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, New Caledonia, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Wallis and Futuna, Western Samoa, Bermuda, Greenland, Mexico, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, United States

Not sure entirely, might be due to dodgy customs or postal services, I know a lot of people don't ship to Italy as stuff regularly goes missing somewhere in the system. It's pretty much up to the individual, they may want to target certain countries for their sales, so they eliminate out a whole lot to save any confusion for overseas buyers. There also may be dealers operating in certain countries for the same product, so many countries are eliminated on that basis. I see the US is also listed there!

Goldpick said:
Not sure entirely, might be due to dodgy customs or postal services, I know a lot of people don't ship to Italy as stuff regularly goes missing somewhere in the system. It's pretty much up to the individual, they may want to target certain countries for their sales, so they eliminate out a whole lot to save any confusion for overseas buyers. There also may be dealers operating in certain countries for the same product, so many countries are eliminated on that basis. I see the US is also listed there!

Thanks , some reasons I never though of ' did also wonder why the US was included .

Maybe there is no free trade agreements with any of these countries, or all these countries simply like to make all their own stuff and simply don't allow china to sell in their countries through the internet. Or vice versa.

You can definately get chinese motor bikes in belize,honduras and el salvador, they are everywhere over there like a commodore in western sydney.

Could be a licensing/copyright law issue, I have had trouble buying music in Australia for this reason.

Just a guess

It's definitely due to the postal services in those countries. Stuff regularly goes missing so it's easier for the ebay businesses to just not send to them. I grew up in Papua New Guinea & I can tell you they are SHOCKING for thieving stuff- if it has any sort of size or weight to your parcel it WILL NOT arrive. It make no difference with registered stuff- they want it, they take it!
Don't be surprised if Australia ends up on this list soon; the rate of missing parcels in Australia has skyrocketed in recent years, especially to remote areas (but major Cities aswell). I ordered a yabbie pump from an Aussie seller from ebay 3 weeks ago- still has not arrived. How does a 30" yabbie pump go missing unless someone wants it to go missing??? How often have any of us come home & a parcel is sitting on your front door step in full veiw of everyone walking by- I have regularly seen them placed ontop or at the base of the letter box. I have even had parcels that require a signature that were left on my front door step- Australia Post don't give a shit- its mostly private contractors now that deliver parcels, so it's a case of 'opportunity knocks' for the dishonest delivery guy.
Now Aust Post is considering only delivering mail 2-3 times a week, instead of everyday! I thought that these types of services were supposed to get better as time goes by, not worse or inefficient.

i would say auspost have never been any good at freight delivery mate, companies like startrack express, TNT, Couriers please these are the companies that provide actual service with insurance and will not deliver without a signature unless authority to leave is required(most of the time).
I once had $1200 worth of printer toners go missing with austpost between the depo and a customer 300 metres up the road. I pushed the point of an investigation and reimbursement and ended up getting through to the depo manager who told the staff if it didn't show up it was coming out of their staff party budget. amazingly the toners showed up a week later packages torn open and returned to me with "customer not at home" scribbled all over it.

Are they "banned" as such or are they simply excluded from places that particular seller will send to?

I know when selling stuff on eBay a seller can choose the countries they will or won't send stuff to, for instance if you were to list an item on Australia eBay and only select Australia as the places you will send to, than it will list a squillion other countries as places you won't send to.

I won't argue that there are some really seedy places as a seller you might want to avoid but as far as I'm aware you can sell to pretty well anywhere if you choose to.

your right mate you can sell to anywhere you want to its a matter of if you want to deal with that country or if your product agreement with the manufacturer allows you to sell to that country, thus not infringing on other agreements.

G0lddigg@ said:
i would say auspost have never been any good at freight delivery mate, companies like startrack express, TNT, Couriers please these are the companies that provide actual service with insurance and will not deliver without a signature unless authority to leave is required(most of the time).
I once had $1200 worth of printer toners go missing with austpost between the depo and a customer 300 metres up the road. I pushed the point of an investigation and reimbursement and ended up getting through to the depo manager who told the staff if it didn't show up it was coming out of their staff party budget. amazingly the toners showed up a week later packages torn open and returned to me with "customer not at home" scribbled all over it.

Well that just sums it all up for me.........AMAZING, no where to be found, but as soon as it was going to come out of their pocket/Xmas piss up, BANG there they are! Someone had obviously started to open them up so that could only be happening within the Aus Post building or with Aus Post staff. What do they all do just sit around & share the various packages that they have 'knocked off' for the week?? Someone should have been sacked over that one!!

BumbleB said:
It's definitely due to the postal services in those countries. Stuff regularly goes missing so it's easier for the ebay businesses to just not send to them. I grew up in Papua New Guinea & I can tell you they are SHOCKING for thieving stuff- if it has any sort of size or weight to your parcel it WILL NOT arrive. It make no difference with registered stuff- they want it, they take it!
Don't be surprised if Australia ends up on this list soon; the rate of missing parcels in Australia has skyrocketed in recent years, especially to remote areas (but major Cities aswell). I ordered a yabbie pump from an Aussie seller from ebay 3 weeks ago- still has not arrived. How does a 30" yabbie pump go missing unless someone wants it to go missing??? How often have any of us come home & a parcel is sitting on your front door step in full veiw of everyone walking by- I have regularly seen them placed ontop or at the base of the letter box. I have even had parcels that require a signature that were left on my front door step- Australia Post don't give a shit- its mostly private contractors now that deliver parcels, so it's a case of 'opportunity knocks' for the dishonest delivery guy.
Now Aust Post is considering only delivering mail 2-3 times a week, instead of everyday! I thought that these types of services were supposed to get better as time goes by, not worse or inefficient.

My local delivery driver usually dosen't leave a calling card to say he tried to deliver. It's not until the actual post office goes and drops the red card in my box that I know something was tried to be delivered.
And then it's at either 1 of the 4 post offices in the surounding suburbs that it will be at, never the same 1 in a row.

Aust post a couple years ago was voting worst employer in Aust due to the stupid conditions they have to work under. No wonder their staff don't give a shit

Some of the contractors certainly leave a lot to be desired, paid per delivery, some don't even bother to try and deliver, others don't even leave a card. I buy a lot off ebay, and often question the seller on the whereabouts of the package, only to find it has been sitting at the post office for 2 weeks! Several times I have brought up issues dealing with the contractors with the local PO, now I have a reliable guy who makes every effort to deliver and is good to deal with. In saying that, there are rotten apples in every organisation, have even had packages tracked to Australian customs, then completely disappeared, no card, no reason, just vanished! :rolleyes:

Hi All ...

I often get deliveries here (Balmian, Sydney) several times a week -- often small items from ebay. Work from home these days (websites and other online stuff) largely because I spend a lot of time caring for my 3 boys (all school age as of this year, finally -- yay!)

For what it's worth, the services around here have been pretty good. The local postie will often knock on the door if he is holding anything large (instead of trying to stuff it into the mailbox). The local auspost parcel courier shows up in his white van and knocks loudly, but unless a signature is required, will often leave the parcel and skedaddle before seeing if I answer the door. There is another courier I've seen several times, and he is always conscientious. Cannot recall any parcel I've had issues with since moving to this area.

That doesn't mean I haven't experienced issues elsewhere, but hey -- I believe in giving credit where it is due!

Cheers,
Dave E :cool:

Latest posts