Areas in vic goldfields that are overgrown?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Redfin said:
mbasko said:
Once again from Detrack:
http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t19771-inglewood-vic?highlight=inglewood
He may have cleaned Inglewood out though :lol:

This a typical Inglewood, can take a day or more to detect half an acre. [properly]

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/232/1436398555_iwood.jpg
Thats about how it was described to me Redfin. Got a lot of bush like it locally up in NSW actually - kinda looks like home :D

This thread is too funny. I pondered whether to give the game away by stating whether the pic is real or not and whether to say there's been recent burns in the near vicinity.

Deep down it gets the better of me, try Whipstick plenty of overgrown out there or north of chewton bud.

Sarcasm and indirect questions won't help as much as being sunny side up though stranger. If you can be humble enough to start out again on the right foot you'll find us Mexicans on here at PA aren't too bad at helping out you dig?

ironrock said:
, the majority of all gold bearing gullies and reefs were located by the old timers, therefore the job of discerning where to detect has mostly been done for us, would`nt you agree?
That`s the sort of ground i`m looking for

Purchase some Tully maps perhaps?
Read some goldfield history?

Be honest and straight talking and you will find an awesome community here.

hum interesting if ironrock puts the time research and effort into a place he might just find gold ha ha lol people who have no manners are not welcome for my info or what I know of in my mind just can't stand them there like a annoying fly sorry to say ironrock but if that's your attitude no one will want to help you out

1438574206_gedc0057.jpg

I`m sorry guys if i came across as an arrogant prick, admittingly i probably am sometimes , if you had the health problems i have you would understand. I have just returned from vic and i managed to get about 3 full days detecting, and i managed to score this nice speci, probably contains <3grams of gold, and i did hook around 10 bullets and many smaller iron bits.
I suffer from smoking related brohnchitis i am 44 years old, and being 3rd day back, i still have`nt fully recovered, my back is sore and my lungs are still coughing up plegm, and i just feel weak and tired, and i`ll now explain why.
The trusty old SD 2200D went just as deep as i remember her cousin the SD2000 went all those years ago, i dug 2 different holes for horse shoes, 1 hole was around 2 feet the other 2 .5 feet down. I dug another couple of holes around the 2 feet mark for ground noise and all this was in the space of around 4 hours,i used to be a gun fruit picker, so i know more than most what it is to work bloody hard, but with this lung condition this day nearly stuffed me completely,that`s why i`m still recovering. Anyway i can say it took me a couple of hours to distinguish ground noise from a real target, there`s no way i`ll be digging fake signals anymore.
With the SD 2200d i found that i had to run it in "tracking" as apposed to "fixed" as fixed became very unstable very quickly, and tracking purred along beautifully.
I was using the old doug stone maps, and became quite frustrated as many of the roads are now "no through roads", so i think that tully maps might be in order next time. I did lose around 2 days with rain and not being able to find the area`s i was planning to detect, but after seeing how flogged some of that ground is, i`m seriously wondering if i should just give it in.
Are we stupid or what? It only takes around 2 -3 experienced prospectors to detect over the old mullock heaps, and that set of diggings can be safely excluded as being "cleaned out" yet some of these diggings has seen many thousands of detectors pass over, we are either stupid or we believe that by some miracle "new" nuggets will some how grow back.
I am sure that at one set of diggings, where i found most of the bullets , there is deeper gold there, probably nothing bigger than an ounce tho, coz the SD would of picked it up, as the diggings gravel layer averages around the 2 feet depth.
If i do decide to detect some more, it will be somewhere that has seen very little detector traffic, if such a place exists?

Theres no such thing as a cleaned out patch, and nuggets are always constantly moving, being erroded downwards or forced upwards. Au salts and gold have a lifecycle where they can decompose and re-create. It may take years but there always are "new" nuggets no matter where you are, nuggets do grow. Crystaline gold is a fine example of it in early stages.

Detectors scrape the first couple of feet remember mate, every new detector that can reach even an extra cm opens up a whole new goldfield for detectors.

Detectorists always miss ground even if they are gridding so theres always a chance for something depending on your luck.

You will find it extreemly hard to find an area with no detector marks. Think outside the box if you want gold and read a lot more.

Ive got health problems too but no one needs to know them as they are my problems and I dont let it affect my day no matter what, keep truckin mate.

Atomrat , my condition doe`s nothing but affect my day all bloody day, i dont want your pity just a little understanding, everyone has some kind of health problem but they are not anywhere equal or the same. Gold growing back, yeah i`ve read up about that, it might be possible, but could take 1000`s of years, since it`s been proven that gold originated from underground volcanic geothermal processes.
I think what`s going to happen is these detector shops are going to resort to creating there own nuggets with molds then reinsert them into the mullock heaps just to make believe that the gold is still there to get.
And what`s with the bullets in the mullock heaps? Some animal`s out shooting there ilk, with a beer in one hand and gun in the other, laughing while pumping lead into the heaps knowing full well that some poor sucker with a detector is going to have to dig another hole for bloody nothing.
One just needs to read the ground, find the reef and you can tell where the gold would of travelled to, and every auriferous area has been done over many times by experienced prospectors, the only real option is to doze, but that`s not really an option in vic as it takes time, cost`s quite a bit, then the possibility of losing your investment, if the patch dose`nt produce, all points to the fact that vic is just about bust when it comes to prospecting, and that is the cold hard truth.
I mean it`s getting pretty bad if it takes 20 nuggets to make 1 gram, now that is the flyshits shit!!!!

I'm not giving you pity don't worry about that, I don't have the time.

You seem like you've lost your knack and had it with the fields. Why not do sluicing where you actually hit ground that hasn't been detected instead for a break and go back to detecting when your minds more fresh. At least you will take something home closer to a gram every time at its worst.

How many prospectors have scattered shot over a patch to keep other away is mabey more what you should think.

Dig every target no matter what if you stick with it. There's no point detecting if your not digging it all. If your hitting too much trash then move, there's a lot if land out there.

Prospectings a gamble, I was told that from the very start..

I seen your topic ironrock about overgrown goldfields in VIC.
I couldn't help myself but show you boys the terrain i prospect in. The more its overgrown the better i reckon, who wants to detect in this shit? no one, so i have a better chance of finding a good size nugget. Well one day maybe :D
1438594270_img_1489.jpg

OLD No7 , you`ve got it worked out mate good luck with it, i`ll be researching to find similar ground, and i have some area`s in mind!!

I think most of us do this for fun anyway, the occasional few nugs keep me keen and meeting up with friends made here is awesome. I was never in it for the money.

Hope you've given up smoking ironrock, you'll feel better in no time.

Heatho, gave up 9 months ago, little to late for me i`m afraid, coughed bad for good on 12 years and did`nt stop when i should have, i`ve reached a point of , it`s as good as it`s going to get, and that`s no bloody good, they reckon they will be able to 3D PRINT new organs within 10 years, hopefully much sooner than that.

I don't know Ironrock, there's a few blokes around that do alright on the so called flogged ground. New technology and old ground seems to pick up a bit here and there. Enough to keep the HOBBY as a Hobby. It's sometimes about enjoying being in the bush for a few hours rather than getting a D9 and flattening an area.
Lead pellets are part of the excitement . You don't know till you dig, could be, maybe, this time, I am due, damn another piece of lead, oh well move on to the next target.
All part of the FUN, because that's what it supposed to be FUN.
Just my 2 bobs worth
Cheers
Rockerfella

If it makes you feel any better I went out on Sunday, a 3 hour drive, arrived 8am, dug 25 bullets, a few lead shot, some larger bullet casings, bits of wire, half a horse shoe, and 1 musket ball. All in pretty flogged ground mind you. Left for home 4pm pretty buggered with no gold. I've only just bought the detector and it was my first go with it (tdi), but have hire minelabs before as well. Low and slow but still never found gold yet with a detector! Maybe I'm missing something and only hearing the screamers? Btw not complainin, had lots of fun and love the adore the wilderness, but geez a first piece wouldn't go astray!

Hows this though, when I arrived at a spot, there were all these metal boxes in the bush just sitting there in the middle of no where crown land. Like all lined up. Thought it could mining company assays or something so curious me wandered over for a peek. Took a lid off and too my surprise I had stumbled across some blokes bloody bee hive collection, full of bees, now angry bees, that chased me back to the car, got in me car too the buggers. Felt like winny the poo!
But fancy that, weird as.

SC75 said:
I seen your topic ironrock about overgrown goldfields in VIC.
I couldn't help myself but show you boys the terrain i prospect in. The more its overgrown the better i reckon, who wants to detect in this shite? no one, so i have a better chance of finding a good size nugget. Well one day maybe :D
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5730/1438594270_img_1489.jpg
Now that's what you call overgrown SC75. You've got your work cut out for ya buddy, good luck on finding your big nugget ;)

ironrock said:
Atomrat , my condition doe`s nothing but affect my day all bloody day, i dont want your pity just a little understanding, everyone has some kind of health problem but they are not anywhere equal or the same. Gold growing back, yeah i`ve read up about that, it might be possible, but could take 1000`s of years, since it`s been proven that gold originated from underground volcanic geothermal processes.
I think what`s going to happen is these detector shops are going to resort to creating there own nuggets with molds then reinsert them into the mullock heaps just to make believe that the gold is still there to get.
And what`s with the bullets in the mullock heaps? Some animal`s out shooting there ilk, with a beer in one hand and gun in the other, laughing while pumping lead into the heaps knowing full well that some poor sucker with a detector is going to have to dig another hole for bloody nothing.
One just needs to read the ground, find the reef and you can tell where the gold would of travelled to, and every auriferous area has been done over many times by experienced prospectors, the only real option is to doze, but that`s not really an option in vic as it takes time, cost`s quite a bit, then the possibility of losing your investment, if the patch dose`nt produce, all points to the fact that vic is just about bust when it comes to prospecting, and that is the cold hard truth.
I mean it`s getting pretty bad if it takes 20 nuggets to make 1 gram, now that is the flyshits shite!!!!

Hey Bud, Most of us are Bloody Crook, I'm happy if I wake up the on the right side of the Turf,, Some folks have plastic joints etc when they croak we don't know whether its a Funeral or A Tupperware party, still life goes On, I Think.?? :eek: :eek: :D :D :D :D

Latest posts