Appalling Crimes

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ded Driver

WA is my backyard
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another elderly person mugged. It sickens me to see this happening. Its becoming all to common with gutless cowards.
Not as bad as some in this case, but still not acceptable
. There should be laws with much harsher penalties for assault on the elderly.
And by stiffer penalties, I don't mean just less privileges whilst in jail.
https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/7-...ken-thugs-in-smart-street-mall-ng-b881231799z

ban alcohol its the same out my way they (of all ages) come into town get tanked up next day hospital is full cops are bashed up towns a mess booze is a major problem then court slap on the wrist do it all over again :N:

If you really look into it, the penalties ARE there, it's the stupid Judges that don't up-hold the laws and apply these Penalties... If they did We just might see a reduction of these offences... And Deport them if they have come from another country....

It has got that bad here that Mrs Wolf and Myself are moving out and going to live by ourselves on Acres... far away from the :poop:

LW...

Ded Driver said:
Im not going to post the links to the recent court cases of 10yr old & a 7yr old girls getting raped (separate cases)
just sickening stuff. As a father I would happily go to jail for what I would do if it were one of my daughters

Ditto, any family member :mad:

Smart move to NOT post such things as vile crime after all this is not what we're about :Y: I was once interested in true crime and found myself at a point I'd read too many horrible truths of humanity at its worst. Many years ago we were on a family holiday at Apollo Bay and our then very juvenile eldest daughter didn't like being told she wasn't allowed to walk the foreshore at night with her friend and sisters. As a juvenile girl not liking the instruction she gathered the others and took off once we became aware my mind went ballistic with horrible thoughts :( I'd only just finished reading of the Wanda Beach murders 8.( a few nights before we left for our holiday. From then on I've never bothered to associate my mind with these horrible realities as much as possible.

G'day

Unfortunately as a society we are all responsible for what is going on now, general apathy and lack of respect for one another, we have allowed the law to become weak and there is no such thing as punishment anymore, you can do what you like include killing and the worst that will happen is that you will get a cushy jail term but no real punishment that would be effective in making you actually pay and be sorry for the crime, the system has allowed the perpetrators more rights than the victims of the crimes and the perpetrators always somehow end up seeing themselves as the victims?

Crime in itself is an industry like any other and the reality is if you didn't have people committing crimes then the people who feed off it all would be out of work, police, judges, prison guards, social workers, lawyers, and its goes on and on, the only people who think capital and corporal punishment are not necessary anymore and too harsh are the ones that have never been directly effected by a serious crime, its time people started to do the job themselves that the law is too weak to handle as something has to change, things are getting worse everyday and the current system is clearly not working.

cheers

stayyerAU

I agree Rm Mrs. Wishfull and I won't watch any horror movies or Murder investigations anymore.
Things have certainly changed since after WW2. For decades after people were free to do many things that they aren't allowed to do now, there was respect for elders. Manners and disciplin are not being enforced and that starts with education (or lack of it ). Drugs are my biggest gripe I Hate them and what they are doing to families and communities.
Kids growing up today think that's just the way things are and that it's all just normal talking back and doing what they want when they want. ITS NOT normal.

Anyway that's my rant. :mad:

Manpa said:
As I have stated many times before, in Australia we have courts of Law, not Justice, they are two vastly different things.
you are absolutely right in that Manpa. And there are plenty of examples of that.
There is disparity & inconsistency between what the police try to achieve & what the courts deliver.
In some cases police try to take a criminal out of society, just to have a court either release them on a technicality, or give them a relatively insignificant jail sentence.
In other cases the police don't put much effort into it, but a court delivers a heavy sentence.
And I get very annoyed at the term "allegedly" when someone is caught redhanded committing a crime such as murder, then the 'system' portrays a view that the person possibly didn't do it.
Defence Lawyers sometimes have a hand in this disparity too. In the persons defence they seem to take their role as 'get the person let off, or as minimum sentence as possible' even if that person was caught in the act.

heres a case of 'allegedly' ... Its her word against his.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06...r-work-ahead-of-federal-visa-changes/11186178
this story has mention & a link to the case in 2017 of a backpacker being tied up & assaulted in a pig shed.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05...ne-charles-bristow-sentenced-to-jail/11064658
Gene Charles Bristow, 54, was sentenced to 18 years in jail with a non-parole period of 12 years and six months for his crimes.
Now heres disparity. He deserves every day of that sentence, but then others have received less for shocking murders!
this story highlights some of this
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11...es-inadequate-advisory-council-finds/10517540

Please I am in no way defending the indefensible when it comes to sentencing but it is very easy to form am opinion on what is reported in the media. Without any of us being in the court for the entire proceedings we cannot have the full weight of the evidence to make a judgement. I do not envy the police in their pursuit of a guilty verdict.
I like many on the information available am confused by the variation in sentencing, is there too much of a gap between minimum and maximum sentencing guidelines, do we need mandatory sentencing for crimes that the community considers heinous such as peadophilia, rape, sexual assault, homicide etc.
That is a question to be answered by legislators and far brighter minds than mine, but one thing for sure is as long as my arse points to the ground it will be a contentious issue. :party:

There are many examples of I could give of truly awaful crimes that happened in the large town/ small city I used to live and the lenient sentencing given to multiple repeat offenders but probably not best to go into detail here. What ever horrible thing you can imagine though it's worse. Some places all you can do is organise your family, friends neighbours and defend yourself.

Ded Driver said:
heres a case of 'allegedly' ... Its her word against his.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06...r-work-ahead-of-federal-visa-changes/11186178
this story has mention & a link to the case in 2017 of a backpacker being tied up & assaulted in a pig shed.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05...ne-charles-bristow-sentenced-to-jail/11064658
Gene Charles Bristow, 54, was sentenced to 18 years in jail with a non-parole period of 12 years and six months for his crimes.
Now heres disparity. He deserves every day of that sentence, but then others have received less for shocking murders!
this story highlights some of this
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11...es-inadequate-advisory-council-finds/10517540

i think the pig shed story is on 60 minutes tonight.

We all make assumptions because of some bad calls by judges, and these get a lot of publicity. A number of States have introduced mandatory sentencing which gives judges no choice. The Victorian Government introduced minimum mandatory sentences for gross violence offences in 2013 in response to community concerns about penalties for serious violence. Gross violence is defined (in part) as being premeditated, in-company, or continuing the act of violence once a person is incapacitated. The laws are there, and judges have greatly increased the sentencing rate. This graph of Victoria's incarceration rate shows the problem.

1560734552_07prisonpopvic2015.jpg

It is not only Australia, but we are near the top:

1560734588_us-prison-population-1925-2015.jpg

1560735096_world-incarcertion-rates_1.jpg

The number imprisoned in Victoria has gone from 2,000 to 6,112 in only 20 years to 2014 and had climbed to 7,668 in 2018. Victoria is building yet another gaol to try and keep up - a $690 million, 700 resident prison at Lara. So it costs about $1 million dollars per prisoner to build the prisons, then $100,000 per year per adult inmate and $200,000 per year per juvenile inmate. Governments have a hard time - there is a limit to what taxpayers will tolerate. There is also the issue of prisons being training grounds for a lifetime of crime, which is why courts and governments are loathe to impose incarceration on young first-time offenders. Juvenile offenders mostly grow out of it by their early twenties and only a minority re-offend. How many of you here are embarrassed by something you did when young, how many were simply lucky enough not to be caught then, and how many of you know someone who did this who is now a responsible, law-abiding adult? I certainly know a number among friends and aquaintances.

There has been a lot of speculation about the cause of the increase. One suggestion has been that in the mid-60s we had a change in societies' attitudes - a huge increase in single-parent families, a dramatic change in alcohol hours and licensing laws, an adoption of a drug culture, and a shift away from restraints that strong religious observance involved (these are not value judgements, just facts - the very things that we often identify with a "freer" society and less judgemental involvement in peoples affairs). I have family working with addiction and behavioural issues, and ice is still second to alcohol.

The real problem is the type of society we seem to have created - it is primarily families that create criminals (addiction and violence issues often results from a damaged childhood), and we need to break the pattern. However I also think we should consider what we offer youngsters in terms of activities. Government regulations, green laws, and prohibitive insurance for clubs, combined with the electronic age are creating a very sedentary young population. Did you see the article about youngsters showing changes in neck bone structure from always looking down at screens? I feel that government needs to encourage more in this area - I have seen the changes that can occur with things like sports clubs, good mentors etc. I suspect that I was saved by good mentors and clubs as a teenager.

But I don't think we can leave it all to governments - have you volunteered in any youth organisations lately? I find it can feel quite rewarding - there is a lot more to youngsters than just the negative.

Latest posts