Aluminum Price Comparison - AU vs Canada

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sledcanada

Wayne Kemp
Reaction score
I stopped by a metal superstore today to inquire about the price of a 4 foot x 8 foot Sheet of 2mm aluminum to build 2 wal`s highbankers for me - One for my property in the north and one for home. The guy quoted me $225 Canadian and if I wanted it cut and bent it would be another $275. After tonight's research I have a few more shops to try tomorrow after work. How does this compare with a 4x8 sheet of 2mm in Auz?

That seems like a lot of money considering you then have to have them fitted out. A completely fitted out Factory built Walbanker only costs $550 in Australia, and in US Dollars wouldn't be more than that including freight.

Always thought prices were better over your way, but seems we are not that bad off over here. PS> you are better off with 1.6mm as it is plenty rigid enough and a lot lighter for transporting up the creeks. ;)

Best of luck with the other shops.

Cheers Wal.

Thanks Wal - I`ll include the 1.6 mm in my pricing tomorrow. I have priced some of the high bankers in the USA and I could get them sent to my doorstep priced better than what this business was offering. I think I will have more fun making my own brake for bending the material :)

That's half the fun of it sled. Stick with the 1.6mm and you won't go wrong. The folding is quite easy and the edges can be riveted to save any tig or mig welding. Look forward to following the progress.

Cheers Wal.

I am a metal fabricator and I recently quoted a job using 1.6mm 5083 aluminium sheet 1200x2400mm. I was quoted $72 from one supplier and $91 from another. (For the Aussies, the cheaper outlet was Onesteel)

sledcanada said:
I stopped by a metal superstore today to inquire about the price of a 4 foot x 8 foot Sheet of 2mm aluminum to build 2 wal`s highbankers for me - One for my property in the north and one for home. The guy quoted me $225 Canadian and if I wanted it cut and bent it would be another $275. After tonight's research I have a few more shops to try tomorrow after work. How does this compare with a 4x8 sheet of 2mm in Auz?

Sounds like they are trying to rip you off with those sort of prices there sled. Can't believe such a difference to the prices over here. Good luck and hope you can get a sheet at a more reasonable cost.

Cheers Wal.

benmick6 said:
I get my aluminium through work. 1200mm x 2400mm x 2mm costs me just under $70

Can you let me know your supplier benmick? PM is fine if you need to.

A few days after I posted this topic one of my buds had 2 sheets of 4x8x2mm aluminum in his garage and wanted 90$ for each of them. I purchased them and last Saturday while on call waiting for the bat phone to ring I managed to get the aluminum cut. I used my cordless Dewalt buzz saw with an 18 tooth blade. It worked just fine and the pieces are all cut. I had a hell of a lot of aluminum crumbs to clean up after the cutting. I used a respirator, safety glasses, coveralls and welders gloves while cutting. I am going to try to Alumi-braze to weld this. Can`t believe 2 - 18 inch aluminum rods cost 5$ per package. I think I can use a little propane torch (we call them bernzomatic here) to get the results I need. Not on call this weekend so I should be able to complete the brazing done and maybe spend one day out on the river panning. The river is so low right now I can most likely drive right down to the river. So looking forward to tomorrow.

Slow and steady seems to win the race!

Cheers all ;)