A sluice question

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Should the mating in a sluice be exposed at the top or bottom of the sluice or it doesn't make any difference?

Stevo, it depends on how one interporates the word "exposed" If you mean "devoid of riffles" then it is critically important as the reality is that your sluice
is designed to catch gold in the very first few riffles. so could you expand a little or have i missed the point..cheers rossco

I mean to say some sluices have a small section of exposed matting, carpet, miner moss, what ever you want to call it before the riffels or after the riffels ..does that make any sense at all. Example below...

After..
1408106182_0000299_300.jpg

Before
1408106197_a51.jpg

Bottom. Gives the riffles a chance to do their thing and if at the top you'll get the first muck pile out with a high probability of clogging. Vrib is an a excellent alternative if you want to capture at the top without clogging. Just my two specks worth.

i see what you mean now Stevo.. and in my humble opinion they are an important advance in technology of the sluice from the origional sluices ie cradle arrangement of the oldtimers when arranged as shown on the latter pic.. or the one showing the riffle area ahead of the major -riffles. right there in that rapid series of riffles begins the processing of you wash..you'll be amazed how much can drop out in that section.
... will be a lot of the larger bits of gold in your wash if its in your wash that is.. thats JUST HOW HEAVY IT IS . some of the finer bits will be found in the mid-sluice area where it has dropped out, once the clays have dissolved and all of the silts have vacated the scene heading downstream.rarely have i encountered much gold in the lower riffles..except when there has been a prolonged period of ops, then you might get a bit skip through the loaded riffle -sections and lodge a little further downsluice....me i tend to start the gathering process right plumb below'er the classifier grate,with minors moss the blue gear from bunnings..although as i'm set up now i'm running astro -turf all the way from the hopper and downsluice.. and i get it if it's in there..just my perspective stevo ....but i think it' a case of use what works for you, be innovative and try combo's that experience gained, gives you broader insights into whats best;. good luck at it mate

Goldtarget. ..i gotta say there's good science behind what your say'in there mate ,,no doubt about it.. some pipeclays are really greasy..hehe. I'm using twin spray bars on my rig and i'm pump'n 17,500 ltrs an hour out at that stuff..so its well saturated just before she hits the top section..not much clogging..beyond the real-time capacity of the the thing but i find results sought of tend along the lines of what i outlined to Stevo. and i'm sure look'in forward to storming into the yella come spring..i got nuggets n' late nights on my mind..hehe cheers ROSSCO.

Hey stevo,
I think it dosent really matter, but I have found that the gold will tend to stay on the v-matting when processing.
I use to run without it but found that it has its place for sure.

Even the bigger slugs tend to hold up in on the rubber v-matting as well as the smaller bits,
Cheers
Brad...

River rock locations you're probably in pretty good stead to run any sort of configuration that you like, I forget not everyone has the ironstone and clay nightmare I deal with on a regular basis, so my thinking comes from that perspective. In a place like Eldorado or mountain streams or alot of gippsland locations where well worn rounded River rocks are the norm and you can see through the nice clear water well the jobs 3/4 done and the process is nearly as simple as taking the heavies out of the lights and blondes. I envy the lads that don't have the need to puddle up that pipe clay that the little Golden bits of goodness get trapped in, just keep shoveling till the back gets a kink.

haha.yeah.Goldtarget..i had an inkling into where you were comin from mate.. i had a brief sojourn into the triangle back in the day and you can get it just as well at Turon in places.. but these days me'self n' me kinfolk feralites, are "work'in the gravels" where nature's sluice box "("hez doen'half tha' bloody trouble!") hehe. love ta catch up one day,somewhere.... Goldtarget.. cheers Rossco. ("At the Diggins")near Crookwell,nsw

The blondes at Yambulla are a challenge.
Hard as hell when you dig it out,
breaks down real easy under a water jet,
Clogs the stuff out of every thing,
Flour gold is the norm.
I am sus that what we see is the first primary tailings from the battery before they introduced mercury.
Full of black sand and verrry fine gold that under a scope is flattened.

Latest posts