2 grams and an electric fence

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
went for a swing today and found a nice little piece rapped around a piece of quartz, I was really lucky though because I had this constant noise pulsing through the GPX that made it very hard to quieten the machine and nearly drove me nuts, I thought the electric fence must have been on, after talking to the owner he said that the fences were on but he had a earth short further back towards the sheds , my question to the more learned of you is it possible that my detector was picking up this short in the fence, and yes I did have other fences nearby but not any closer than 200 to 300 meters

lab

Nice find mate especially in amongst the noise.
What coil did ya have on - 11" mono or DD? If you had the mono on the DD might be better running in cancel mode if it happens again + I've got a 14" DD Coiltek that may allow you to maintain some better depth you can give a try.
Jonathan Porter said:
I've used the supplied 11" DD coil very successfully with the GPX 5000. You can either use Cancel mode for high interference areas or Mono mode for other mineralised places. Mono mode and Cancel mode on the Coil/Rx switch in conjunction with a DD coil and the Fine Gold timings have been very useful for me in certain areas, especially where the ground is shallow (down to 10" or so) and the gold small. Because the 11" coil has much smaller receive windings over a mono coil of the same size it is actually more sensitive on targets close to the coil (generates a brighter response) but you need to be mindful there is a pretty big trade off on outright depth (Cancel mode and Mono mode will not punch as deep as DD mode with a DD coil, and a DD coil in DD mode will not punch as deep as a Mono coil in Mono or DD mode even using Enhance or Fine Gold).

The other thing I should point out, it is not recommended to use a DD coil in DD mode using any of the "Smooth" type timings especially Fine Gold, however a DD coil in a pseudo mono type Rx mode like Cancel or Mono mode is OK. Another thing of note is a DD coil in either Mono mode or Cancel mode generates their response on the left side and middle of the coil, generally if the target is deep is sounds like the response is coming from the centre of the coil, if shallow more so from the left (helps with pinpointing a target)

Hope this helps,

JP

PS Typical settings I use for a DD coil in Mono mode using a Smooth type timing.

Gain 13
Motion Slow
Audio Deep
Tracking Fixed (Medium speed)
Soil Timings Fine Gold or Enhance
Tone 63
Stabilizer 8
Signal 19
General Search mode

If you go into the Cancel Rx then you can easily crank the Gain to the moon because EMI is virtually non existent, watch out for a bit of coil touch sensitivity though.

Latest posts