Minelab GPX5000 tips, settings and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so happy I came across this thread, as I myself was a little worried today when I went to try out my Minelab GPX 5000 at my parents' house today, it too also made some very constant, unusual noises outside (especially when on the DD coil. Sounds like a bumble bee is close to you. The DD was noisier than the mono coil). Then, I realised the power lines are only 20 metres away from their house.

stevo said:
Just bought a body harness has a pocket at pack for GPX battery pack, water bottle and pick holder on it as well. Also bought a garrett pinpointer set of small scales and small plastic bottles for gold pieces and various other items, now really just need to get the detector which wont be till end of May...Have to sort out and buy some camping gear as well. Might even lash out and get a 4WD for my excursions out into the bush.

"Also bought a garrett pinpointer"

Doesn't a Garrett pin pointer interfere with the GPX 5000, can people let me know if this is correct??? As I've never owned a 5000 so don't know for sure. :)

Both the Garrett & the Minelab pinpointers upset the 5000 - on or off but on is obviously worse. You can stick it between ya bum cheeks & it appears to be not as bad. :lol:
I know the Garrett plays havoc with the 4500 too & demonstrated it for a mate last week. I turned it off & put it behind my back & the 4500 ran quietly. As soon as I moved it out from behind my back the machine played up. I could even get a bit of a tune going by moving it back & forth :lol:
If you use one the key is where you position/carry it when not in use. Obviously not on your front side!
Personally I got rid of both mine, had one of each. Have found some very small sub grammers without using them & pinpointing with my coil.

Best pinpointer for nugget shooting is the vibraprobe 580. Its pulse induction and will pick up the tiny nuggets the other pin pointers miss.

I own both types and have tested these.

I was just wondering whether it's normal to sometimes not hear any audio whilst you are sweeping? I ask this because compared to the video above, I don't get that constant low-humming noise when I sweep with my Minelab GPX 5000.

I tried to buy a Rooster Booster from Bendigo miners den - they say they no longer stock them - has anyone else had problems getting their hands on one?

A constant tone go to youtube, search for Hobos gold.. watch any one of his videos, in the background you will hear a constant tone... that's the threshold..

you should hear it, it generally should be JUST audible, so you can hear it but its not overpowering..

anyway hope this helps.

On the front of your detector at the bottom of the switches there is a knob that says threshold,
Turn this know untill you can hear a tone come through the silence,

Good morning guys,

I got a question (maybe a stupid one).

Is it ok to use the gpx when it's raining? if so do you use specify trick to protect the coil?

As long as the control box is covered .there should not be any trouble .but all coils will get moisture under the skid plate and will need to be cleaned out. Ps nugget finder can and will split around the seam and let moisture in . Wrong glue used on some coils and it let's go

I have ordered the GPX5000 Pro pack today from the Miners Den in Sydney and was wondering what setup is included for recharging the GPX5000 battery, I assume only a 240v charger? or is there a 12v charger also included?...thanks

mbasko said:
Both the Garrett & the Minelab pinpointers upset the 5000 - on or off but on is obviously worse. You can stick it between ya bum cheeks & it appears to be not as bad. :lol:
I know the Garrett plays havoc with the 4500 too & demonstrated it for a mate last week. I turned it off & put it behind my back & the 4500 ran quietly. As soon as I moved it out from behind my back the machine played up. I could even get a bit of a tune going by moving it back & forth :lol:
If you use one the key is where you position/carry it when not in use. Obviously not on your front side!
Personally I got rid of both mine, had one of each. Have found some very small sub grammers without using them & pinpointing with my coil.

I carry my pinpointer on the harness (side) It is always off. When I use it, I pull the speaker plug halfway out so that the 5000 makes no sound, turn on the pinpointer and when finished, turn it off and push the speaker plug back in.

I don't hear the havoc, but I should perhaps check that it is not going to damage the detector. I'll refer that to Minelab and post the response, unless someone here knows the answer.

Latest posts