Night park detecting with the Ace 250

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
07B4D341-F1C7-49F3-AF1B-8BC79B33A797_zpsjlx5dn1t.jpg

My apology its the 580 i use not 540. Not sure
Where i got the 540 from.

My replies have been corrected and its a great pin pointer and i
Use the 580 in the goldfields.

Thanks for the explanation Goldpick - I never looked at it that way I guess. Perhaps I watched too many you tube videos as I tend to dump the shovel full of sand/target on the ground and separate the target from the sand with my foot and the detector to reveal the treasure - at night that wouldn't work!

I also tend to be 50% in the water and 45% wet sand and 5% dry sand - thinking the dry sand has been detected to death and would only have recent stuff where in the water is where the churn of new/very old targets hide. I also learned very quickly that you can only cover so much ground in a session and the beach is a big place - and one beach after another so their are plenty of places to go - so being selective about where you detect determines the amount of success you have.

I should give night detecting a go - it would be better than watching tv! If I see a fellow detector I will surely say G'day!

There's not much in the way of older finds on the local beaches, you will probably have to venture out into deep water for those, hence most of my finds are reasonably recent. I probably have more luck in parks finding the pre-dec stuff. When I acquire a more decent sand scoop, I may look at getting out in the water to see what I can come up with using the Infinium. I am still amazed at how smaller pieces of jewellery the infinium picks up at pretty decent depths, sometimes things like small parts of earings a foot down in wet sand. The downside is also picking up bits of corroded wire a foot down too, small enough to constantly strain out of the sand scoop - quite frustrating at times.! :)

Bobby pins .. :mad:

I have a Surf PI Dual freq, that thing had me dig (with just a Garret digging tool) an 18" deep hole at the beach for half a rusty 3/0 fish hook. :|
A great detector but it needs a discrimination option ( I know, dream on) imho

cheers :)

Yep i own the garrett sea hunter same issue.

My next detector for the water will be the whites beach hunter.

Well, just got back from having another go at the park where I last managed to pick up a 3 pence and penny, and managed to get lucky again with another 3 pence from 1950. Also my collection of commemorative coins goes unabated, with every $1 coin picked up tonight being one - freaky! One Centenary of Federation, Apec Australia, and a new one for me, a Centenary of girl guiding $1. My pinpointer ran flat, so only managed a few hours (happens when you just take one pinpointer).

Why the amount of rubbish, it happens running in jewellery mode, which is required to pick up those tiny 3 pence. They are not large or conductive enough to fall on the upper silver range, more like down towards the foil/5c range. :)

1397495499_img_20140415_023712.jpg

I had a good night tonight, with a few more varied coins from a few tot lots, parks and tennis court areas. Items of interest include a student design 2004 50c coin with a wombat, koala and lorikeet, commemorative outback 50c with the windmill design, another centenary of girl guiding $1, and an aboriginal kangaroo design $1. Other items of interest include an AMF Bowling token, childrens junk jewellery bracelet, and the end of some sort of object, set with a few stones - no idea what that is from, anybody have a clue?

Another good spot I found are those chin up and excercise bars located in parks, a perfect spot for money to fall out of pockets when upside down. :)

1397581573_img_20140416_014748.jpg

1397581596_img_20140416_015011.jpg

1397581618_img_20140416_015031.jpg

1397581638_img_20140416_014952.jpg

1397581656_img_20140416_020524.jpg

The kitty is slowly regaining some worth after raiding it late last year, hopefully it will go to buying a new detector sometime down the track, or part payment. :)

1397582359_img_20140416_024814.jpg

looks like you have hit a bit of gold there in bay three last row. i dont think i have seen the big ring shown? good effort :)

Nah, that's the big brass freemasons ring, good to look at, and that's about it.

On that note, I visited a couple of tot lots tonight with not much luck, so moved down to the beach with only a sole $2 coin, keys and some lead for my efforts. On the way home I thought I would try a small park near a shopping not far from my place, had much better luck with 19 coins, including a Charles Kingsford Smith $1, small bracelet charm with a stone set in it, and an unusual one, a Fijian 1979 1c coin. Have never bothered to try this spot before due to the amount of traffic in the area, but at 2.30am, that's no longer an issue. ;)

1397758892_img_20140418_034506.jpg

1397758917_img_20140418_034525.jpg

1397758940_img_20140418_034548.jpg

Good score, I wonder if the people getting up to mischief were the ones who dropped the coins..........

I was going to do the school across the road from my place last night but bumped the power switch on my detector earlier in the day, batteries were flat. :mad:

I've erred on the side of caution with the schools. Thought it might be a bit of a grey area, often they get broken into.....excuse me mate says the security or police......anyone had a go or advise? I have 6 schools within a 10 km radius, and 3 churches I've been eyeing off.

As a rule I don't do schools, especially with the amount of vandalism going on these days. Churches are fine, as long as you have prior permission - cemeteries, give them a miss, we are not quite that desperate! :)

I went to this school 36 years ago, I'm usually the one stopping vandalism there, cops hardly ever come even if I call them. Pretty safe this one anyway.

I did my kids school & within minutes had someone asking what i was doing. I did have prior permission & when I gave name all was good, the person then wished me luck. only spent about an hour but found one three pence & about $5 in change. It is only very small primary school. Until about 4-5 years ago had less than 100 kids. now has about 140 kids. But has just turned 100 years old.

Getting permission for primary schools is the right thing to do. I classify high schools though as fair game, especially if the sporting ovals are used by the council for summer sport, etc.

Our high school even hosts an All Ford Day on one weekend per year - kids and adults take their dogs for a run - so lots of both authorised and unauthorised activity. I tend to go when it is empty - maybe even a little unpleasant weather wise - and I never get approached at all.

It's funny, but I read a lot of apprehension regarding detecting in various places, and yet I have never been asked to leave anywhere I have detected - curiosity occasionally but never asked to go. So perhaps you say to yourself until I am asked to leave let's push the envelope and just get out there and go for it! I would think detecting in broad daylight is less conspicuous then lurking around after dark - less intimidating and easier to see the harmless activity from a distance.

I did a bit of driving around the hills tonight, and came up with a few good spots to try out, and with some decent success thankfully! 46 coins in total, 3 earings (2 gold plate, 1 x brass, 1 x 925 silver), a silver charm, New Zealand $1 & 20c, a dog tag, and a matchbox gt40 to top it off. All found in tot lots, and running the Ace on low sensitivity to get in and around the play equipment where usually a lot of coins get missed. :)

I wish all nights were like this, the coins certainly don't take long to add up! Might try to contact the dog tag owner, see if they would like it back as a momento.

1397928932_img_20140420_025927.jpg

1397928959_img_20140420_025946.jpg

1397928980_img_20140420_030007.jpg

Nice finds and i appreciate the hard work and time it took
You in finding Those. A lot of guys miss finding the deep
dollar coins that Lay 4 inches in the mud under another
4" of bark. These have been slowly sinking in the past 20
Years or so.

If your not finding coins in the mud your missing out
On coins. My cz3d serial 1021 tuned by Nasa Tom
has found half mower cut 1c pieces at 7" or so. It
chirps at these as a detecting sound.

Not sure how many detectors today either give a signal or
Not on targets. Some machines don't chirp on deep targets.
My old tesoro was good at finding these and so is the cz3d.

Need to try out the G2 which i own.

This is the difference between using a cheapie and
Something designed for the deeper stuff. In one small
Park under the swing i pulled out $12 worth within
A an area of 1 foot. The machine was going crazy.

Happy Easter to everyone.

Latest posts