A nice find

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I discovered my first good site, and what's even better is I learned about my family past in doing so.

The site belonged to my first ancestor to arrive in Australia, Henry Angel.
Turns out he had ties with Hume and Hovell.

The site was Henry's homestead and existed between 1860's to the 1890's.

So far I've dug four victorian Pennies, a religious medallion a small silver button and various other items, check out the pics.

1397380173_image.jpg

1397380174_image.jpg

1397380828_image.jpg

1397380175_image.jpg

The pennies include two 1875 with different size dates, a 1879 and a 1884 penny.
The 1879 came out of the ground in great shape.

I can't wait to get back for more.

Thanks for looking.

Nice finds Stoney!
Interesting finding those 2 1875 pennies. Found this 'The 1875 penny comes with two settings for the date, one narrower than the other. The narrow variety is only slightly scarcer than the wide.' from this site http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/penny.html
Keep up the good finds :p

SF

Thanks for that information silver fox, i was hoping for very scarce, but it's still exciting when you see a coin instead of junk :) these were my first old coins that I've found, now I'm itching for more.

Well that's a great first find, 4 x 1800 English Pennies!
Wait till you get the 1800 silver... I can't tell you what it will feel like, I am yet to find one!

Good Luck Stoney

SF

Thanks for the kind replies :)

They have kept me motivated for the hunt, in between all the junk finds :)

Junk is inevitable, but as you say, the good finds make it all worthwhile, love the pendant, something a bit different. :)

Some great finds there.
Exciting not knowing what the next item will be

Stoney, the real feeling there would be holding things that your ancestors had or used.
For you, the real joy may be framing them with a story for your own future generations to enjoy when were all off detecting the great beyond.

Hi silver, yeah I'm 37 and I never knew much about my heritage. and it wasn't until I my Mum told me about an old homestead on some family land we have.

It took me ages to find the site, as all that's left (above ground) are a few scattered brick pieces.

And by getting some info from my relatives, and some digging online I have put it all together, so the finds do have extra meaning for me :)

And that's a great idea silva, I will put together something for sure.

I went for a big drive a while back with an 86 year old uncle, and he pointed out an area where my great grandfather used to live. The old fella used to have bee hives for honey, and made mead and wines(I don't mind wine Stoney). I'd like to find a few things from my direct past ancestors when I get the chance to get back there with my machine(it's set back in a bit of bushland now), no one ever used the land since he used it, so if it's old it was most likely his.

Hello Stoney, Would it be possible to contact you offline please? I am also related to Henry Angel from Hay and Wagga Wagga. I too have a passion for old houses and love to dig for anything found around them, I have a number of family photos you may be interested in as well as family history. Would love to hear from you. I am 34 and live in Queensland.

Latest posts