Minelab SD2000 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys much appreciated... hopefully this post helps someone else in the future figure out the same thing lol (that is... if there is anyone as silly as me) :p

Look on the bright side.
Now you have 2 batteries.
Can camp out for a weekend without charging. :)

mbasko said:
:lol: looks like me & joe answered your question at the same time you got it sorted yourself.
Good to hear its working.
Mate :) that's because I was reading your thoughts as I was typing lol.

Those batteries are like 27 bucks so no big loss there for Luke :)

:lol: yep ESP mate & always good to have a spare battery anyway. Even when I had the little ripper battery for my SD2200D I always had a 6v gel spare just in case. Never had to use it but you never know - you can never carry too many spares especially when travelling.

$27.00??? wow I got ripped off, paid $170 for the battery + mains charger + car charger + headphone jack

Where can you get them so cheap? (I got mine off ebay) :/

But yeah it will be good for camping :p

elemental09 said:
$27.00??? wow I got ripped off, paid $170 for the battery + mains charger + car charger + headphone jack

Where can you get them so cheap? (I got mine off ebay) :/

But yeah it will be good for camping :p

Luke I was only referring to a battery, example :

Battery:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-6V-1...049385?pt=AU_Solar&hash=item20d47f0be9&_uhb=1

Two year warranty - 12AH, from memory minelab was supplying 10AH
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BATTERY-..._Personal_Security&hash=item4acac1c607&_uhb=1

Charger:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6V-1-2A-.../350867853761?pt=AU_Solar&hash=item51b15a91c1

Wow that is really cheap Jo. Do you think they would work on a SD 2000? or are they for newer detectors?

I still think I was ripped lol :p

I run this battery on my SD2000 no problem :) the 12AH lasts two detecting days without charging.

I bought a 6V SLA battery from Jaycar and it cost me $30.00. I took it back and exchanged it for a 12V battery which was the same price. I can also charge this battery using a normal 12V battery charger. I use these batteries to run my spotlights when out shooting and so I could also use it with the detector, I siliconed a plastic box to the top of the battery and installed an adjustable voltage regulator inside so I have a fixed 12V for the spotlight and I can adjust the voltage from about 1.3V to 10V.

To adjust the voltage you also need a multi-meter so that you get the correct voltage and I also have the trimpot inside the case and I need to insert a small screwdriver in a hole to adjust it. This is so the trimpot cannot be knocked and the voltage increased and fry the detector.

Hi Guys

I would prefer to own a GPX 5000 but $6500 is a big first step (and babies should learn to crawl first)

I have a chance to buy a Minelab SD2000 for $1000. It has a has the 4 frequency mode modification and audio booster and voltage regulator unit.

Ive done some research and I think its agood buy , but since Im a newbie , I thought I would get some advice off guys who were actually doing it .

What do you think ?

Thanks

Pete

If you believe it's a good buy that's all that matters, but as with any machine test first if possible.

hi pete 2000 is a good machine but 1000 is to rich for my liking unless it comes with a lot with gear a prospecting shop near where I live sold one for 600 last year with a lot of gear with it I sold mine for 400 just a week ago
cheers mick

Hey Pete I think that Goldrocks is selling his SD2100. Shoot him off a msg and have a look at it. They are a great machine to start off with. A bit dearer but worht the extra bucks

I am sure a few of you on the forum have run one of these machines or something similar and could offer some good advice on ground balancing, tones to listen for etc.

Or maybe you know a good link to some info. (The online manual wasn't as descriptive as I would have liked)

Greatly appreciate,

SG :)

G-Day spottedgum ground balance as per manual get it running as quit as possible, then take some junk out with you (steel washer, brass, copper, lead, aluminium) as smaller pieces as possible and run the coil over them an try to become accustomed to any variations, its your ears you need to balance, its all part of the learning curve good luck.

Capt.

Thanks Captain, good advice, I will give that a go.
I have some gold from highbanking and I have been meaning to get my ear i with that to.

Next project : Ear Balancing :p

I am having some problems. I am unable to get a signal from the 3grams I have in a vial. It will get a signal off other pieces of metal no worries.
What could I be doing wrong I thought it would be sensitive enough to pick it up?

Latest posts