Willemite at the Puttapa or Beltana mine

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder what these UV torches are like for field work?
All are 254nM or 263nM shortwave UV.

1573726326_jaxman-u1c-uv-ultraviolet-365nm-18650-3w-nichia.jpg

1573726339_slinya_254nm.jpg

1573726355_tank007-uvc31-nichia-uv-led-flashlight-365nm-5w-_1.jpg

1573726477_zero_10w_254nm.jpg

1573726502_02.jpg

1573726533_01.jpg

1573726544_s-l640.jpg

Maybe in WA DED, but the earliest I can leave is Tuesday, and with a 2 day trip, that would get me there Wed afternoon.
Temps a bit up there for a Melbourne lad who hasn't seen much more than 23C for 7 months?
1573805596_leigh_creek.jpg

So, I found some nice Willemite rocks at the Beltana mine, with permission from the mine caretaker (a Geo named Marcus - great bloke).
I sent some samples to LoneWolf who is researching building a UVC lamp and to Goody )along with a small UVC lamp). She loves them.
I'm also researching how to make cheap UVC lamps for display cases.
So, LoneWolf and I are thinking of starting a thread on mineral mineral fluroescence, including lights to make/buy, minerals and locations and pictures.
Any interest out there in PA land?

RM, If you asked me to go Fossicking/Prospecting 30yrs ago I would have said 'What the hell for... Boring '... :lol:

Now I have a room and 3 cabinets full of Rocks, Minerals and Crystals and with the generosity of BW, My collection has just grown Bigger :)

Everyone starts somewhere with any sort of Collection.. Be it Football Jerseys or Teaspoons... It kinda Grows on you...

A bigger 'Fluorescent' cabinet is now in the design stages :) ....

Thank-you BigWave.. :Y: :beer:

I also think it would be a great Topic and a chance to show People some 'Hidden Secrets' of Rocks ;) :perfect:

LW...

I am interested the how to for the lights and the where to go and get them,might make for a great detour on my next trip to vic, to see the rellie's and have a play :perfect:

LoneWolf said:
RM, If you asked me to go Fossicking/Prospecting 30yrs ago I would have said 'What the hell for... Boring '... :lol:

Now I have a room and 3 cabinets full of Rocks, Minerals and Crystals and with the generosity of BW, My collection has just grown Bigger :)

Everyone starts somewhere with any sort of Collection.. Be it Football Jerseys or Teaspoons... It kinda Grows on you...

I also think it would be a great Topic and a chance to show People some 'Hidden Secrets' of Rocks ;) :perfect:

LW...

I wonder how many rooms Mrs Moneybox has for her bottles??; :(

Jaros said:
LoneWolf said:

LW...

1577935693_cabinet_1.jpg

I wonder how many rooms Mrs Moneybox has for her bottles??; :(

1577935552_cabinet_4.jpg

Just the living room now, well there are still a few boxes in the shed, and then there are few boxes of nicely coloured bottles waiting for me to make a bottle wall. I think a few Christmases might come first ;)

1577935588_cabinet_3.jpg

The majority of the bottles were sold and then a few hundred, or was it a few thousand released into the wild for other collectors to find :)

1577935624_cabinet_2.jpg

A very nice collection there MB... :Y: :perfect: A collection to be very proud of... I cant stop looking at it.. :D

The UV lights will take a bit of time to do as we need to make 'Prototypes' first. One for Home use and the other for Field work. My issue is that a lot of lighting/Electrical shops are still closed till Monday up here.

Locations are pretty easy to put up and that will happen soon...

LW...

You have got my interest as well. there is plenty of info on the net on what to find & where. That Convoy firefly torch sound interesting too. Guess I'll have to sell something to be able to buy one to justify it to swmbo :) Or make some myself. Only a hop up to the flinders for me. I'm planning to travel this great land for 4-5 months from April sometime and most of that I hope will be remote so I could be wandering around at night with the right equipment. have a list started already of what to look for and where to look

I have been playing around with some of Bigwave rocks that he kindly sent to me for Xmas present...

They are amazing in color when the UV light is on them..

Showed my friend Kids when they all was hear and they was fascinated with all of them as well...

Bigwave you might of started me on collecting some more now...

Thank you

Goody :)

Harbourmaster said:
You have got my interest as well. there is plenty of info on the net on what to find & where. That Convoy firefly torch sound interesting too.

The Convoy FyrFly uses another good 365nm UVA LED by LG, but I hear that it puts out more visible light than the Convoy S2+ with the excellent Nichia LED, and for equal performance, requires the front glass to be replaced by a UV bandpass filter.

My advice is to stick with the Convoy S2+. Do not buy a cheaper lookalike, as most are pretty useless for minerals.

BigWave said:
Harbourmaster said:
You have got my interest as well. there is plenty of info on the net on what to find & where. That Convoy firefly torch sound interesting too.

The Convoy FyrFly uses another good 365nm UVA LED by LG, but I hear that it puts out more visible light than the Convoy S2+ with the excellent Nichia LED, and for equal performance, requires the front glass to be replaced by a UV bandpass filter.

My advice is to stick with the Convoy S2+. Do not buy a cheaper lookalike, as most are pretty useless for minerals.

Thanks for that. yes I've read about staying away from the cheap lookalikes.

Latest posts