Why would I want to buy someone elses finds?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi people,

I saw this ad on fleabay...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Metal-De...833836?hash=item2ca82934ec:g:qaYAAOSwGotWq2kS

Does this stuff have any inherent value?

I thought all the value was from having fun finding it. The guy seems to be promoting himself on Youtube as some kind of master coin finder, I wonder if it's all part of some grand money making enterprise? He might be a forum member?

I'm keen to hear others thoughts,
Pete

That's one of the good things about the hobby. You can find stuff & keep it for your own collection or sell things to make a bit of cash to cover costs, upgrades, new gear etc.
If someone is wanting his coins & they are willing to pay what he's asking then good luck to him!

Well he won't even get melt value at a coin dealers for the silver.
He's not saying any dates at all.
Not even if it's 92.5%, or just 50% silver. :rolleyes:
I don't know what he thinks copper and lead is worth,... but must be a bit !?!?!? :rolleyes:

whats wrong with buying others finds i just brough"t one find off a forum member to use as tester and its "cool as"'

If the price is right,... all good hey.
that fella want the world,... someone will pay,... anythimg of value numismatically speaking would already have been pulled from it as well as all the $1 & $2 coins.
Ee not stupid, wants mor'n top $ value for what's left too. :eek:

nicko61 said:
whats wrong with buying others finds i just brough"t one find off a forum member to use as tester and its "cool as"'
I don't see a discussion about rights and wrongs of selling finds so much as the ethics of advertising junk at inflated prices in the hope of fleecing some nuffy. Read the article, the guys focus is entirely on financial gain.

bigfoot said:
nicko61 said:
I don't see a discussion about rights and wrongs of selling finds so much as the ethics of advertising junk at inflated prices in the hope of fleecing some nuffy. Read the article, the guys focus is entirely on financial gain.

McDonalds do it, used car salesmen do it, petrol companies do it, China does it....... Nothing wrong with this bloke doing it if someone wants to buy it. Best of luck to him. :lol:

He'd be going on what it would cost you to buy the sinkers at a boating store,... maybe get a sail to the likes of a jacks causto type.,... surely then though he could name his price,.. why limit it with a number in the first place I wonder ? :rolleyes:

bigfoot said:
Even used car salesmen are more transparent than this guy and they're regulated.

I'm not saying that folk on ebay should be regulated I'm just saying that someone selling crap on ebay is dissimilar to a salesman selling a car from a car yard. I agree that people should be allowed to sell whatever they want for how ever much they want, it's no concern of mine but when society applauds activites synonymous with the transfer of wealth from the stupid to the unscrupulous then the great Aussie fair go will have been relegated to history.

Don't mind me,...I'm sarcastically taking the great aussie p! $$ out of the sellers wish to short change Johny come skippin in unawares. :lol:

Jeez your getting a bit dramatic "when society applauds activites synonymous with the transfer of wealth from the stupid to the unscrupulous then the great Aussie fair go will have been relegated to history".
I don't think anyone here applauds that or is saying that is ok. It's all pretty above board to me. He's selling a large collection of finds & is quite open about how + where he found them. The pics to me clearly show they aren't in good condition - he even states they are "pretty worn" & I can't see how he's being unscrupulous or that he's trying to rip stupid people off. Whether the price is right or not isn't for us to judge. You either want stuff like it & will pay it or not. I personally would not pay it nor would I want it! Some others might?? I just can't see a "stupid" or inexperienced collector etc. forking out $2k for it anyway?
I'd be much more offended by someone trying to sell fake or counterfeit goods than I am by someone seemingly overpricing their finds that there may be a market for anyway? Lowball or low grade coin collections are a cheaper way of getting full sets.

Latest posts