Where is close for me to start

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Gold Miners!
I am getting the bug to start detecting for gold as a pass time. I love the shows on TV and also the outback, so thought I would try it out.
I live in Eltham Vic, so wanted toknow if there is any detectors club in the area I could make contact with?
I would like to hire one or two different detectors to understand which one will work for me before I invest.
Also, where are the good spots around my area. Warrandyte, St Andrews and Panton Hill are mentioned in posts I've read, but its hard to understand if they would be good for a rookie to dip the toe in? I'm not too keen on panning. Detecting is what I am keen on.
Anyone local with experience who would be happy to share a coffee or beer to discuss would be fantastic.
Cheers.

G'day Greendog welcome to PA if it's detecting gold your after as far as close to Eltham goes check out Heathcote travel time on Google maps. As for clubs you're in luck with a shorter distance if you join the PMAV (Prospectors and Miner's Association) Melbourne branch which meets at Miner's Den in Mitcham from memory. With your local PMAV you will learn from experienced like minded people and get the opportunity to join in the field days /weekend trips. The PMAV are our state volunteer lobby group who work hard to keep gold fields open for us to access in the way of prospecting :beer:

Check out their website.

https://pmav.org.au/

Get your 10 post's up and you will be able to join in the meet ups and fun that comes with them, when it's possible given the current set of circumstances we're all dealing with.

Panton is junk ridden and theres some out of bounds areas but I have a piece to prove the rumours are true, there is gold.

Not sure on the other two you mention for detecting but someone will probably chime in.

If youre hiring try asking the place youre hiring from for some general areas, almost without exception they can point you in the right direction as its in their commercial interest to do so.

Detecting is a great hobby but dont discount the pans as a tool to help you locate ground to swing over, after all, it had to come from somewhere.

Good luck on your adventures. :Y:

Latest posts