What type of reserves can you prospect?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been looking for some new spots to go prospecting and cant find what type of reserve you can prospect in.

I checked the Parks Victoria fossiking and prospecting page and all it says we can prospect in many reserves???

I would think historical, conservation or cultural reserves would be a no go but what about bush reserves and any others?

I have read a few park management plans also and cant find any reference to prospecting either.

Any help will be appreciated :)

I would also like to know what the answer is. Nothing is signed well and I am having a hard time finding where I can/can't prospect.

Thanks for the links moeee

So, earth resources says no prospecting allowed in any reserves and Parks victoria says prospecting allowed in many reserves.

Looks like i will need a strong coffee and to read up on the National Parks Act a bit more

HippyProspecting said:
So, earth resources says no prospecting allowed in any reserves and Parks victoria says prospecting allowed in many reserves.

Looks like i will need a strong coffee and to read up on the National Parks Act a bit more
Yes read a little more or try to understand what it is you are reading.

earth resources says NO PROSPECTING "EXCEPT " in designated areas - so even in Parks and reserves there are usually designated areas where prospecting is allowed.

I've read this several times over the years and never been able to work out a definitive answer. Bush reserves, conservation reserves, heritage reserves - it is hard to find who actually has authority over them that you can actually ask a direct question to.

As much as I would like to prospect in anything that seems to be public land I have taken the safer avenue of only prospecting in any state forest and only State Parks/National Parks where prospecting is definitely allowed.

Successfully gaining access to private land and private corporate land takes some work but is certainly worth the effort.

And I know the exempt rivers bit but when the Alpine Shire advertises that people should buy a miner's right and go panning in the Oven's River at Bright I wonder just how much to take notice of it. And what if I go to a local swimming hole in Bright to detect for rings and coins? Is that prospecting? Can I do that legally but if I said I was detecting for gold that would be illegal?

As with most legislation, it is open to interpretation which doesn't help a great deal when we want answers in black and white :rolleyes:

If anybody gets some definitive answers please pass them on :Y:

you seem to be making the effort to find places where you CANNOT prospect.
wouldn't you be better to find a place where you can ?
Pick a likely spot , then check whether it is prohibitted - if not , go there

Is there anywhere in particular you had in mind.
Post a list - I'll research them for you if you like.

I could be wrong on this but I am fairly certain that you can not detect on any reserves in Western Australia except for beaches and your local park. If any one knows otherwise please correct me on this.

moeee said:
you seem to be making the effort to find places where you CANNOT prospect.
wouldn't you be better to find a place where you can ?
Pick a likely spot , then check whether it is prohibitted - if not , go there

Is there anywhere in particular you had in mind.
Post a list - I'll research them for you if you like.
Yeah, nah Nah, yeahh

Latest posts