What era is this from

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, I need the help of those more knowledgable than me and Google search.

Last weekend found this lead toy dog, we are sure it is of a Golden Retriever but there are no markings on it to give us an idea of how old it may be.

1379389351_image.jpg

The site where I found it was a very small gold field that as far as we can tell only had one permanent house (farm) on it and was last to have existed around the 1940's, last known photo of area is est. to be 1940.

Gold was hard rock mined from the 1880's until the 1st World War

Any thoughts on "Old Mate's" age?

Arwon, I'm 68 and can remember lead toys when I was very young so it would be say 60 yrs and older as lead toys date back a long time, I wish you luck with this one maybe a dealer would be your best bet. cheers John.

The lead must have had a bad effect on kids health.... :eek:
calala said:
Arwon, I'm 68 and can remember lead toys when I was very young so it would be say 60 yrs and older as lead toys date back a long time, I wish you luck with this one maybe a dealer would be your best bet. cheers John.

I can remember toys like farm animals, toy soldiers and the like made from lead they bent very easily, then I think made from diecast, which were painted more than likely with lead paint. I do recall my mother telling me not to put them in my mouth. (as if)

Posted on your other thread:
There's a similar type crouching toy dog in this months GGT magazine (pg.21). It was in an area where the coins found mainly came from the mid 1940's so that may be some guide to date it?

mbasko said:
Posted on your other thread:
There's a similar type crouching toy dog in this months GGT magazine (pg.21). It was in an area where the coins found mainly came from the mid 1940's so that may be some guide to date it?

Many thanks, might be bang on the money as the site above the creek line where I found it was still there in the early 40's.

Latest posts