Warwick QLD Area Beginner - Dipping toes in the water; literally.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the report. Sorry for the lateness - old age and all that. Hairyman.

A bit late - sorry about that. Hope it helps

Hi All, I am new here an am very interested in Pratten as we own a 400 acre property there. They used to use our dams down the front to wash the Gold but our place was never worked etc. I would like to know where to start looking on our block for Gold as I am not well enough to walk the 400acres swinging. I would love a starting point. Here is some new info about Big Hill if you haven't seen it and some current mines across the road from our block. Cheers Sharyn

Attachments

• Big_Hill_NI43_101_Expl_Report_Final_31121.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 1
  • cid_12.jpg
    cid_12.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 2
Hi All, I am new here an am very interested in Pratten as we own a 400 acre property there. They used to use our dams down the front to wash the Gold but our place was never worked etc. I would like to know where to start looking on our block for Gold as I am not well enough to walk the 400acres swinging. I would love a starting point. Here is some new info about Big Hill if you haven't seen it and some current mines across the road from our block. Cheers Sharyn
You could download the app trilobite and pay for Qld gold subscription and check if there’s any old mines on your property or try panning in the gullies. This is the simplest method to indicate if there’s any gold present. Good luck.

If they used your dams to wash the material they dug, where they washed the material is where you should concentrate on, also if you can identify the tracks they used to transport the material, a fair amount of it would have spilled onto the ground and that would be a prime area to look also. Good luck and keep us informed of how you go. Dave

If they used your dams to wash the material they dug, where they washed the material is where you should concentrate on, also if you can identify the tracks they used to transport the material, a fair amount of it would have spilled onto the ground and that would be a prime area to look also. Good luck and keep us informed of how you go. Dave
Those tracks would be long gone, this was all done at the height of the Gold Rush, we have owned the property for over 30yrs. A friend ran a coil over where the old copper pipes enter the dam and found a picker, but he didn't stay as he was only passing through. What sort of soil type am I looking for? Its a greyish clay looking soil up near the top dam but then there is a reddish soil down near the other dam?
1700614785386.png

You could download the app trilobite and pay for Qld gold subscription and check if there’s any old mines on your property or try panning in the gullies. This is the simplest method to indicate if there’s any gold present. Good luck.
Thanks for that tip! downloading the app now :)

In the Victorian goldfields you can still make out routes they used to transport the gold bearing material to the Puddlers for washing, there would have been hundreds of miners using all manner of carts and barrows for months on end to access what ever water was available to extract thier gold from the material, it's probably a matter of knowing what to look for.

Yes that's what I need to know what to look for. The rush in Pratten was back in 1900's
I only have a Whites MXT300 and haven't even bothered to swing it out there. I get overwhelmed when I look around and think where do I start LOL.

I think Walnliz might be a good starting point, they are very experienced in all things about finding gold, and they are very generous with advice. If I was you I'd contact them.

Latest posts