Thinking outside the square

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldtarget

(AKA OldGT)
Reaction score
I love to hear great stories from the coin shooters, in fact two best mates are diehard detectorists. In my many conversations with then I've picked up a few tips they employ to increase the haul of moderns and pre decs. Firstly they'll compete for ground straight after a festival, raves, camping trips, outdoor concerts, the range of events is only limited by your thinking. In the rural areas they come in the day after the carnies have left and make some nice hauls too. Is there a lake nearby? When the weather is warmer most folks head outdoors, and the haul of gold coins and rings makes it worth following the crowd. Old railways are a known winner, if there's a disused rail line checking up on the stations can help pop the pre dec cherry. Close to the snow? Chairlift entry can turn up some treasures when the white stuff has melted, (tbh I'm not sure how legal it is), the back of dunes is a known hotspot, if the beach won't give up the goods, and boat ramps are an unworked site ( yes hooks sinkers and likes will probably drive you nuts). That said all areas will have their share of trash and low value targets but the easy spots are well hit by every man and his dog. I'm sure if you sit and think and spend the time to dig you'll see the treasure pile grow. Hourly you'll find a sweet spot. Happy hunting.

Places I target around here are;

- under the clothes line. Its an amazing one so if you have a bunch of mates who don't mind you doing their clothes line area and a bit of yard once a year its a good score as the pants upside down drying do drop shiny stuff in the grass :)

- Old QLD homes that have been demolished are good, the older the better. Just ask the foreman / builder if you can go over the areas where the yards were and dig away. Best bit when I have done this is they don't mind if you have a spade a shovel or a jackhammer as its all being dug up. However, be prepared for nails, screws and scrap metal around the place.

- Carparks - grassed walk ways before the beach

- grassed areas near the showers at a beach. Everyone throws down there gear on the grass as they don't want sand in it and then shower off. Often you can find a dollar or two that's fallen out in the grass.

- Monkey bars / flying fox in parks/ Everyone loves to hang upside down.

- Sports ovals - 1 or 2m back from the sideline of the fields towards the halfway marks where mums and dads sit watching their kids followed by any hill that over looks a sports oval.
NOTE - get permission first before hacking away

- Carnival areas. For this try to remember where the rides were and picture where gravity would pull a coin to onto the ground. And the next best one is picture where the lines were for food and drink as money can fall from a pocket and under a stall. Same applies for the local markets where lines / groups are.

That's me for now - others can add.