Taking an SDC 2300 as carry-on luggage

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Folks
I want to take my SDC 2300 as carry-on luggage. I flew to Darwin a few years ago and my luggage went missing 48 hours. Last month I flew to Sydney and my entire canvas bag was soaked through. All my clothes were wet. Strangely my wife's bag was only a little damp on the outside. I also observed the rough handling bags get when being loaded and unloaded. I contacted CASA, the government agency responsible for security when entering the controlled section of airports. I provided them with a description of the detector and a link to the Minelab website that features the SDC.

Subject : Folding Metal Detector
Contact Requested : Yes
Comments : Hi. I have a Minelab SDC2300 metal detector that easily fits into a backpack. There are no sharp edges and batteries will be in my check-in baggage. Am I able to include in carry-on baggage so it doesn't get damaged? Link: https://www.minelab.com/anz/metal-detectors/gold-detectors/sdc-2300

The reply was:
For Official Use Only
Good Afternoon,
Thank you for your enquiry.

Please ensure your batteries are in your carry-on baggage and the terminals insulated. It will be best to seek the airlines approval for your metal detector before you travel. It should be fine to travel, but the airline will have the final say in the matter.

XXXXX
Technical Admin Officer
Regulatory Services & Surveillance
XXXX Region / XXXXX
CASA\Aviation Group
P: 3144 XXXX E: [email protected]
www.casa.gov.au
I then contacted Jetstar. They do not have any email service for contact. The only way to contact them is through the Chat. The person on Chat wrote that I must have the detector in check-in baggage and that it was "dangerous to other passengers". I replied that this was nonsense. I explained why I did not wish to do so and that CASA said "it would be fine to travel". After much chat discussion, with me being insistent that I wanted to escalate to the Jetstar security team, the person lodged a "case" and gave me the case number. I was told the Case team would probably contact me in 10-15 days, but I am flying about that time.

SDC 2300 fits in a small backpack and the Minelab website says: "Folds to small portable size, 8.5 (216mm) by 15.7 (400mm). Fits into carry-on luggage and most backpacks."

The only way to see if it would be allowed in carry-on luggage seems to be front up to the airport with a printed copy of the CASA email and take your chances. By the time you get to the security gate, your check-in baggage is already on its way. While you might go one way in carry-on, there is no guarantee the return journey will be any different.

What a pain!

1531954271_batteries_on_planes.jpg

Hi
I took mine to Kalgoorlie in my back pack (Qantas) with batteries in seperate carry on bag. Did the same as you and took the email with me just in case. The only time I had to take it out to show anyone was when I left Kalgoorlie.

You should be fine with the email but you never know with airlines

Bob

we took two gofinds in baggage to perth , they were in their original box's, packed with lots of padding around the box's, arrived fine :Y:
having watched the handlers , i pack accordingly ;)

Booked with Qantas as I am a Frequent Flyer member but when using rewards points Qantas now makes you fly Jetstar rather than their own planes. At least, that is my personal experience. While CASA says the airline has the final say, the airline does not do the screening at airports. I am going to see someone at my local regional airport to see if security screening is a local matter or part of CASA.

A mate flys all over Australia / NZ and Europe...

Takes his SDC2300 either as carry on OR in the travel backpack (in his main suit case) and carries his batteries, as carry on...

Never had a problem...

NOX or others that have inbuilt batteries that can not be removed, or striped to suit carry on, will always be an issue...

CASA told me "loose" batteries must be in containers with no potential for contact of anything with either end of the batteries. Mine are in packs so ignorance of the detector will be the only issue. Provided I get through security, the airlines never know what is in carry-on anyway. CASA, airport terminal employees or contractor staff who scan carry-on and who don't understand the technology would be the problem I wish to resolve.

Most time when you fly they are more worried about the weight of your carry on bags and if it will fit in the locker or by your feet.

Yes the batteries could be a problem.

If you have trouble with your bags, I would look at a possible alternative, i.e. disposable 'C' cells as a fall back. they might not be as long lasting, but they may do the job and you should be able to buy them when you land at your destination.

Ballina1 said:
CASA told me "loose" batteries must be in containers with no potential for contact of anything with either end of the batteries. Mine are in packs so ignorance of the detector will be the only issue. Provided I get through security, the airlines never know what is in carry-on anyway. CASA, airport terminal employees or contractor staff who scan carry-on and who don't understand the technology would be the problem I wish to resolve.
Last time I went through airline security back in last May this year me carry on baggage was checked. They seem to to random check's. They do scan all carry all bag baggage.
Just phone the airport and ask them.

wrapped my zed in non static bubble wrap (very important) DDcover, excelent investment. rechargeable batteries I taped over each end with sparky tape and put into individual zip-lock lunch bags and sdc. zed went underneath everything else carry on and I was good to go and come back :Y:
I would probably consult the airports concerned rather than carrier although it doesn't hurt to get a heads up from them.
if airport screening asks what is that ? probably just say it's harry potters non flammable broom but they should be able to pick it.

It's not a like it is an induction cooktop. It doesn't heat or burn, doesn't fire a projectile, doesn't poison anyone, doesn't stab anyone ... It just goes beep!

Latest posts