S.A. historic rego plates

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markgoldhunter

mark johnston
Reaction score
A bit of a rude shock yesterday when making enquiries on behalf of a buyer of my Pontiac and the reg. dept. told me any white on black numerical plates have to be surrendered upon the sale of any vehicle. In my opinion this not only reduces the historical interest in the vehicle but also stops me from having a possible valuable asset that could be resold separately. I spent over half an hour on the blower to them to try to discover any exceptions but as usual just the stock answer of 'the regulations state' blah blah. So do other states have the same regulations or not or does anyone here in S.A. have any clues on any loopholes for this situation. Here is a pic of the car just because I like showing it off. Cheers Mark.
1551852572_dscf3244.jpg

Not from SA and never heard of any requirement to hand back old plates unless the vehicle is unregistered and won't be registered again. I'm with you there a classic plate :Y: have a chat to a car club. I also find it hard to understand how the registration office can recall plates that you've paid for :N: my thoughts are you've paid they belong to you so tell'em for $3 million they can have'm once the funds clear :p dirty rotten bureaucracies :N: start high to end up with the price your happy with :power: mongrels.

In the NT the plate stays with the car until the car is out of rego for 2 or more years or the owner wants personalised plates.

I would just wait a day or two and then ring again. Bit like dealing with the mines department lol

Yeah I rang the guy I know in a car club but he had no idea that was the case so I might do as you suggest Shep with the hope I get someone else a little more accommodating.

I just messaged a bloke I know who has a missus that has worked in S.A. rego department for a 14 years. This is the reply

She said if they were all numeric with no letters and no rights then yes they would have to surrender the old ones and they'd give them a new reg number. If just expired there shouldn't be a problem but it depends on a few things and how long its been expired for.

And this:

You pay money for the right to keep them and swap between cars. But with all numeric plates they stopped offering the choice to buy and keep them and the government make money off them at auction

So there you go. Seems you don't get to keep them. Looks like you have to surrender the plates.

Thanks Marksman, nothing in there to do with plates but I will be contacting the historic vehicle federation to seek their view, and Wishfull, not the answer I wanted but certainly the one I was expecting. I will continue to investigate. I remember paying an extra fee [around 200.] when I bought the car 20 years ago so maybe that gives me some rights. Santa, yes.

Sorry mate. I know it's not what you wanted to hear but that's all I can find out for you. If it's just out of rego you might have a chance maybe. I would do what you said and ask a historical car club what they know.

Maybe ask them what specific law they intend to use against you to enforce their surrender.
once you gain a reply ask them to prove that specific law has been endorsed by the queen within 28 days and that if they cannot prove that then the matter will be deemed dealt with.
just make sure that you get the letters done up and wittnessed by a JP... and that you use a receipted delivery through Australia post... and keep your own copies for your reference.you can send the same letters to the head of the tranport department as well.
Anything is worth a try hey.
They may just decide to forget about you.
By the way.... the queen hasn't endorsed any road rule stuff... it all goes back to relying on constitutional law. ;) ;)

As you say Silver, anything is worth a try but even if that did work they will then refuse to register the car with those plates on it for the new owner thus destroying the historical continuity and removing any value to me as the seller. I like your thinking though.

Well that just makes no sense at all
They probably just want to make a an extra dollar and sell you a new plate with one of those emoji faces and palm trees on it :(
... those are legal and yours isnt ... go figure :8

The old ones(plates) probly dont register on their camera's at night....... not the correct reflective tech for their computers to nab you in the dark at all. Thus an introduction of a law that infringes on our right to free travel ! :eek:

Latest posts