Quartz Reefs - Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teemore

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Hi Guys/Ladies,

Just wondering if anyone has input on the best resource for checking/finding/plotting quartz bearing reefs in the Victorian Goldfields.

Can't seem to find them in GeoVic but that might just be me.

I know that some of the Stone/Tully maps show them but looking for something online.

Vic Online Goldmaps is a great resource that shows them pretty (very ?) accurately for the goldfields that they cover, sadly they only apply to a few of the Vic goldfields (and cost $30 each).

Similarly "Aust Geology/Trilobite" is great for showing "shallow workings" for all of Vic as well as various old mines but again no quartz reef references, it is great when walking the goldfields allowing you to easily see where you are in regard to a particular workings area.

Live in hope that someone out there can help.

Cheers T.

Hi Teemore
Long time no see.
The following screen shot shows what to select in Geovic to show quartz reefs. Ive found it very accurate for those that show. Ive come across many reefs in
1590927267_b8a28f64-3b62-4cca-9b12-265b1a3d4b53.jpg
the field not shown in Geovic. However, the bigger more prominent ones show.
Please note you need to reduce Map Scale down for the reefs to show. I find 1:31,680 or less to work well. They show as yellow dashed lines.
Cheers

Dignit said:
Hi Teemore
Long time no see.
The following screen shot shows

Thanks Dignit I'll check that out, knew there'd be a solution out there somewhere ....
still hanging in there mixing detecting with a bit of slicing and dry blowing.
Old fishing mate has taken up detecting and been helping him out a bit ...... he's close to outdoing me now.
Have caught up with Dustin when he's been down, always good to catch up with old friends .......
Hope you're getting your share of the yellow,
Cheers T.

Trilobite does have the quartz reefs. Got some marked on my maps. Have you got all the overlays operating for the app ?

Dignit said:
Hi Teemore
Long time no see.
The following screen shot shows what to select in Geovic to show quartz reefs. Ive found it very accurate for those that show. Ive come across many reefs in https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...7_b8a28f64-3b62-4cca-9b12-265b1a3d4b53.jpgthe field not shown in Geovic. However, the bigger more prominent ones show.
Please note you need to reduce Map Scale down for the reefs to show. I find 1:31,680 or less to work well. They show as yellow dashed lines.
Cheers

That's so true Dignit, regarding not all reefs being shown. I stayed at a farm stay recently not far from Moliagul in Vic. It was a family weekend without any detecting, but while we were out walking I came across some quartz. I followed it across the property as it gradually got bigger and bigger, until it started showing up as the occasional fist sized chunk and bigger still. I followed it up the gradual incline of the land, and I eventually came to a stone outcrop in a paddock with an obvious quartz reef. When I got home I checked it out on Geovic, and it isn't shown.

just starting said:
Trilobite does have the quartz reefs. Got some marked on my maps. Have you got all the overlays operating for the app ?

Tks, thought I'd seen them on there before. Might have turned off some of the overlays, too crowded to look at with geology, maybe I just turned off, or haven't turned on the correct ones.

Any suggestions of what I should be using. Also curious if the mines/shafts dots can be made smaller (I know you can make them transparent).
Love Trilobite, great out in the field app.
Cheers T.

Teemore said:
just starting said:

Tks, thought I'd seen them on there before. Might have turned off some of the overlays, too crowded to look at with geology, maybe I just turned off, or haven't turned on the correct ones.

Any suggestions of what I should be using. Also curious if the mines/shafts dots can be made smaller (I know you can make them transparent).
Cheers T.

No worries , Teemore.

This is what you are looking for.

1590999159_geo2.jpg

1590999206_geo1.jpg

Can`t help you with making the dots smaller. Just mark the mine dots with the ones you want and then turn the gold mine layer off.

Hope this helps .

just starting said:
Teemore said:
just starting said:

Cheers T.

No worries , Teemore.

This is what you are looking for.

Tks for that info, Cheers.

Teemore said:
Dignit said:
Hi Teemore
Long time no see.
The following screen shot shows

Thanks Dignit I'll check that out, knew there'd be a solution out there somewhere ....
still hanging in there mixing detecting with a bit of slicing and dry blowing.
Old fishing mate has taken up detecting and been helping him out a bit ...... he's close to outdoing me now.
Have caught up with Dustin when he's been down, always good to catch up with old friends .......
Hope you're getting your share of the yellow,
Cheers T.
Hi T
Since getting an SDC last year Ive been getting my share of small stuff, but the GPX has been a little disappointing. But I still love the thrill and anticipation of looking for bigger gold.
Glad to hear you catchup with Dustin from time to time.
You better back off with showing your mate all the tricks of the trade.
Hope to catchup sometime.
Cheers

Latest posts