Oh god, not another newbie! HI ALL :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, just joined up today after a wonderful afternoon exploring the Steiglitz area of the Brisbane Ranges with my two young grandsons. It brought back many happy memories of when I would trail along with MY mother doing the obligatory Sunday Drive to check out the (back then) mostly unexplored parts of regional Victoria. My mum always had dreams of becoming an amateur prospector, but after buying a detector (back in the early 1970's) I think it was used once or twice, then got put into mothballs, never to see the light of day again.

I'd not given it a thought since.....until today. Scrambling over mullock heaps hoping to find a feral mine shaft, checking out the creek (too steep to get down to though) and just breathing in the general ambience stirred something in my genetic blueprint. It was helped along of course by grandson 1 (aged 7) who went mad thinking every chunk of quartz was a potential goldmine, and was somewhat disappointed when he came home 'goldless'. It only occured to me in a 'LIGHTBULB' moment on the drive home, that I'd promised he and his little bro a trip to the GOLDFIELDS, and he was expecting to get out of the car and find gold scattered about the place. Geez, kids can be literal little buggers. We did see some gold fields though....paddocks and paddocks of canola in all its golden glory!

But I DID promise him that I would do some research so that we can make a goodly attempt to find some gold. Hence why you have another newbie. I'm off now to read all the threads etc. I am a total NOOB and have no knowledge of prospecting whatsoever, so some of my questions later might seem inane. Please be patient with me.

Cheers
kambuckta :)

Welcome to PA mate. With your two whippersnappers egging you on, I'm sure you'll have fun in the goldfields. There's still plenty out there (refer the Gold Deteting Show and Tell thread), and if you're into gold detecting, the newer detectors are still paying for themselves. The best place to start learning for gold detecting is Loamer's thread:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2042
Also, all videos by Wal n Liz. Look forward to seeing you and youngsters in the Golden Triangle.

Jaros said:
Welcome kambuckta. Good luck with the promise.

I didn't promise an actual weight or size! I'm sure the little bloke would be happy with knowing that the microscopic speck we will (hopefully, eventually) find is really, truly GOLD.

:lol:

Welcome PA and we all have to start somewhere so there is no such thing as a silly question (some answers can be a bit suss ) so enjoy the forum as there is a lot to learn here and a not a bad lot of guys here as well

Welcome Kambuckta You will find a lot off usefull info on this site , i have . Hope u find the boys nugget soon

I think a panning trip would be the go - nearly guaranteed to find at least a speck in the right spots - digging and panning can be hard work though.

Good luck and enjoy.

Latest posts