Nuggetty gully state conservation area NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone help with access to nuggetty ?
On the map it shows some road front , but I cant find a gate, or entrance . All I see is 2 council run areas with gates , one is a quarry. Both are unlocked but say no entry !
I can get in there , but want ti do it the right way , especially after all of NAPFAs efforts to get us back in there !

Thanks

Gunter

The one you are talking about is walk in only and very very steep walk.
The farm next door is no access , my mates family is related to him and he won't even let us in.
Its not much of a spot to leave your vehicle as you loose site of it after 1 minutes walk and its roughly 20 minutes from the creek back up the hill with any gear.

Yep thats the one . But where do you walk in I cant see any gaps in fence except through those 2 council gates I mentioned ! Is that the way in ?
I knew youd know AF its your backyard !

Not only is it steep , after all the rain the grass is waist high everywhere ! I aint going in that til winter

Re (Its not much of a spot to leave your vehicle as you loose site of it after 1 minutes walk and its roughly 20 minutes from the creek back up the hill with any gear.)

Re Security of your Vehicle:
A friend was thinking about the item below, painted green+ and set away from his caravan when its parked unattended in the bush (in suss arears only)and he is away detecting for the day, however it needs a Telstra signal and a modem/old Telstra phone in the van to notify you of any movement. But the local wildlife could probably set it off as well. Can work off internal batteries.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/orion-grid-connect-smart-security-motion-sensor_p0261690

Best access is through the quary on foot , go in gate turn left a bit over half way in , over a few boulders then down the hill.
Need to have a meet up at tuena with someone that doesn't like hills, get them to drop you off and pick up up at end of day.
Creek has been vacuum cleaned thoroughly but still a interesting spot, last trip I done in there we found a old rusty 3 inch dredge nozzle, now that creek is tiny lucky to be 4ft across , that a big dredge for a small creek :lol:

Is it only the main gully every one has vacuumed , or is there general detecting ? Its a massive area , 6 km x 3 km , although 90 % too far to walk ! Has your friends
family detected there ? Im guessing yes , and that why they wont let you in lol???

Gunter1 said:
Is it only the main gully every one has vacuumed , or is there general detecting ? Its a massive area , 6 km x 3 km , although 90 % too far to walk ! Has your friends
family detected there ? Im guessing yes , and that why they wont let you in lol???

Its never been much of an area for detecting , alot of guys have tried and done it over and over for not a whole lot.

The creek has been hammered for 20 years plus by 7 - 8 experts who dig hard all day.

Some of them start on a section of creek and dig across its whole width and they move up the creek doing 10 - 20 metres long in a month on average , they pick it down to bedrock and dont miss a crumb.

Most of those guys have moved on to better areas because it has been flogged pretty well but if you get a big flood you might pan up some crumbs

I parked just off the main road that leads to Tuena. There used to be a little section where you could park, but they have put up a fence, however you can still park there, but just off to the side of the fenced part (sorry I'm not sure how to describe it to you). I think it might be not far from the quarry. Your car will be in full view, but probably fine for a day trip.

What the others have said is true, it is a steep drop into that area. I almost stepped on a brown, so make sure you have a PLB.

I was only panning and there was some good bedrock, but I didn't find anything (not surprising for me). Mind you, I didn't go along Tuena creek, but rather focussed on one of the side creeks.

Side note, I rang and talked to the ranger about visting and they said it was fine. Note, this was a couple of years ago.

Thanks for the info . We are allowed in there ! It is in writing in the parks nsw website . But Im guessing its only because of the bad access .

If I can make it that far , I will try one of the tributaries , off the main gully .

Will send report in coming months !

Gunter

Latest posts