New to Forum - Grey Nomads - Interested in Gold/Sapphire Fossicking

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My wife & I have developed an interest in Gold & Sapphire Fossicking & now plan our caravanning activities around fossicking and catching up with our children and grandkids, whilst away from our home base at Thornton, NSW.

I have been a casual visitor to this site for some time now & have travelled to northern Qld and many points between researching places to fossick. Awe were fortunate to pick up some nice Sapphires at Rubyvale this year and now have purchased, SUVs and the necessary collection of picks & shovels; we also were fortunate to meet some interesting Sydneysiders at Hill End earlier in the year and have a collection of pans. Earlier last month after some research, we decided to buy a Minelab GLX4500 with a Gofind 40 in the package from CWProspecting at Mudgee. So we have lots to learn, but love the travelling/nomadding lifestyle.

We are currently returning home from Black Springs, where we have had limited success at Sapphire Bend. We have purchased subscription to fossick in the NSW forests & tried some detecting at Essington SF, near an old gold mine site, but without success, however we have already been down the path of digging a 300mm hole on a strong signal without using the proper pinpointing discipline later to find two bullet shells, each on the other side of the coil, being one of the new 11" Evolution mono's.

We had a great time at SB meeting a lovely older gentleman (like myself), named Tex, who was a wealth of information on the local area & on Sapphire fossicking tips.

We look forward to catching up with nomads to share fossicking information.

Nice to have you aboard Dicko,
Well you know how things work on here so please be a regular contributor and enjoy the forum.
Great introduction by the way.
Cheers Steve :)

Latest posts