Need help on decision around AT Gold vs. Infinium vs. 705 for gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sorry to bring up yet another what detector topic but I'm stuck on this question of which detector to get. I've owned two Minelab Sovereigns, a 305, and an Explorer. I've mostly been a WW2 relic hunter but want to diversify a bit. The ability to have something that can pull some gold appeals but I don't live on the gold fields and can't justify the spend on a Minelab GP anything so they're out of the picture.

The AT Gold and the Infinium are both the front runners at the moment. I see a lot more posts about what has been found with the AT Gold rather than the 705 gold pack so it has gone to the last spot on the list.

For the AT Gold I'm amazed at the nuggets being pulled by heavymetal on this forum. Awesome. My question is: would the infinium detect roughly the same amount (or better) of gold as the AT Gold? If so and as it can also do the beach then it would be my choice. Is my thinking correct or am I missing something? I'm a recreational detectorist, under no illusions of leaving work for full time prospecting, but want to have weekend hunts for relics and coins with some occasional fun on the goldfields with something reasonable for the price.

I had basically the same question a few weeks ago.

Originally I was leaning towards the Garrett AT Gold, although after a lot of research the minelab x terra 705 looks like the better buy.

The 705 has 3 frequencies and coupled with the coiltek coils can be a capable gold machine and also great on the beach/parks.
I believe the 705 handles the mineralised ground better than the AT Gold.

I'm sure more experienced members here can add more...I hope I helped a little.

Ben

Banshee777 said:
The AT Gold and the Infinium are both the front runners at the moment. I see a lot more posts about what has been found with the AT Gold rather than the 705 gold pack so it has gone to the last spot on the list.

We do seem to have more AT Gold users than 705 users on the forum but I wouldn't base my decision solely on that as both are very capable VLF detectors. In saying that I can personally recommend the AT Gold https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=13862#p13862. One thing to note with the AT Gold, it wont work on wet sand at the beach, dry sand is fine though.

Banshee777 said:
My question is: would the infinium detect roughly the same amount (or better) of gold as the AT Gold?

The Infinium uses Pulse Induction (PI) technology and is completely submersible (similar to the AT Gold), but it can also be used in salt water and in theory will handle highly mineralised ground a lot better than VLF detectors. I did a lot of research on this machine before making the decision to buy the AT Gold, it just suited my needs more.

If you're looking at doing more coin and relic hunting with a bit of gold detecting thrown in, I would be leaning towards the AT Gold or 705 Gold Pack mainly for the extra bells and whistles these machines offer over the Infinium. But on the other hand, if you're looking at doing more gold detecting with a bit of coin and relic thrown in, I would say give the Infinium some serious thought.

It can be a difficult decision but ultimately its yours. Keep researching and I'm sure which ever you decide, you'll be happy with it.

Nugget.

Banshee,
I don't know if you have bright one yet, but I was going to buy the AT Pro right there and now, but that morning I watched a video clip on youtube where a shop in the states put the AT pro and the x-terra 705 against each other and he was amazed the 705 won hands down..

Adv Deth:
705=10 1/2inch
AT=9

So thats why I went with the 705...inch and half doesn't sound much but when your looking for yellow it can mean your winning or lossing...

Cheers...

Banshee777 said:
Thanks for that. I still have some ruminating to do.

O

If you decide on an Infinium I have seen one for sale $700. Seller states it comes with 10x14" DD with new skid plate and 8" Mono. All standard accessories: battery packs, headphones, etc. New lower shaft.

Don't know much about them but it seems a good deal for a used set up ($1699 new) + may be able to negotiate on that too?
Let me know & I'll PM some details if you want to chase it up.