Native Title

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Attempting to plan this years trip. Wished to look at the whole and then narrow the path.

Went nuts looking for turf outside of WA's Native Title. Got worse trying to decipher our dear system for exactly where and where not one can walk in this country. If you look at plain 'Native Title' you get this;

1548918278_wa_native_title_all.jpg

But after hours of searching it was back in a brochure I'd forgotten, clearly spelt out by the WA DMIRS. Which is;

1548918332_wa_native_title_exclusive.jpg

Incidentally the data here coincides with a pdf from your national tribunal. Strange to me is seeing a newer phenomenon (state borders) acting as a wall to what I'd have thought to be a much older heritage.

Anyway hope it helps if anyone else is wondering where they can go walkabout.

Not sure why your looking at this.

If your going to WA then use Tengraph, and look up Live exploration leases, choose the area that you want to go to and get a 40E to go on that ground, for $25 you can get a maximum of 10 graticular blocks which is roughly 3100ha in total size, as one gratricular block is aprox 310ha

It's the best and easiest and only way to do it.

cheers dave

Thanks Dave, have done before; Had three 40e's a few years ago, used Tengraph etc Just as I said " look at the whole and then narrow the path".

Like in Tengraph you cannot see UCL until your into 1:500,100

Not much chop unless you know where your going to begin with.

Tengraph is not "the best and easiest and only way to do it". Sorry .

I found I didn't even need it to get the 40e's!

There is other mapping that is fantastic for editing etc.

Many might prefer to see the big picture first and work there way in, researching on the way; pending roads, access, native title, leases, historic diggings etc

And then yes ... if you do know where you wish to go then for sure use tengraph.

jon_m said:
Thanks Dave, have done before; Had three 40e's a few years ago, used Tengraph etc Just as I said " look at the whole and then narrow the path".

Like in Tengraph you cannot see UCL until your into 1:500,100

Not much chop unless you know where your going to begin with.

Tengraph is not "the best and easiest and only way to do it". Sorry .

I found I didn't even need it to get the 40e's!

There is other mapping that is fantastic for editing etc.

Many might prefer to see the big picture first and work there way in, researching on the way; pending roads, access, native title, leases, historic diggings etc

And then yes ... if you do know where you wish to go then for sure use tengraph.

Yes your right I stand corrected,Tengraph is not the ONLY way to do it. :D

And yes we also get permissions from the mining companys to access there ground and use there agreement and then there is no need for the 40E but we still give the companys a report which they appreciate.

But I do like Tengraph and use it heaps. There is a lot of info in Tengraph if you know how to find it and use it. :perfect:

cheers dave

Dave

Tengraph is great. And for example offers more data than what can be had from the DMIRS Data Centre, like unallocated crown land ( 'UCL' within cadastre layer) & native title.

Unless you get a dataset from other than Tengraph you will not be able to discern "Exclusive" Native Title as in the pics above (like: http://www.nntt.gov.au/Pages/Home-Page.aspx ).

As for UCL I am waiting for an answer from WA Landgate as to whether or not I can acquire a file to view a 'whole of WA' to start planning.

Ded Driver

That's a great link. Would have taken me ages to find something of it. Maybe it'll come in use? Thanks

Hiccup... Not that I understand the difference ?? But on tengraph one can see the area south of Mt Augustus has a 'Native Title Claim' but on the data in the pic above (dark green triangular shape) it is 'Determined / Exclusive'. Lost me?

Thanks Ded

I have a number of times, including in the last few days. All up the direct help I've had in both WA & Vic has been terrific.

Just wish it was the same here in QLD. I guess it's all about legacy mostly & politics. However, for the history etc of these things I know nothing.

Re the data I had immediate response from the Terngraph folk inc a workaround, but Landgate are still working on an answer - as there's money involved bet the reply will come with a hefty price - wait see

This arrived in the mail last week along with an accompanying letter.

Application for determination - Map.jpeg

Another document that I don't understand. It says for more information go to www.nntt.gov.au but that website doesn't work.

These are issues directly affecting mining and prospecting throughout Australia even if it's political we're not discussing political parties here we're discussing how native title claims are affecting our hobby and livelihood.
Well discuss it civilly without using words like "they" or "p!@#$" then please.
Not necessarily from you MB but there were definitely racial undertones to a lot of what was deleted.

P.s. on review of the removed posts there wasn't one word in them relevant to or in regards to Mining or Prospecting!
Let alone any sensible discussion on how native title is affecting either!

Last edited:
If it helps answer OP's question Went nuts looking for turf outside of WA's Native Title. Got worse trying to decipher our dear system for exactly where and where not one can walk in this country.
Note this is Native Title land not freehold title.
Under Native Title act 1993 section 7.4 states as follows - Consistent with the reasoning of recent High Court decisions and the provisions of the Native Title Act, mining rights prevail over Native Title rights and interests. The Native Title Act provides that, if a “mining” lease was issued, activities permitted by the lease can be carried out regardless of the existence of Native Title. The existence of Native Title interests cannot prevent the carrying on of such activities validly.

But is also stated that Native Title may include the right to possess and occupy an area to the exclusion of all others (often called a right of exclusive possession).

Hope this helps clarify :rolleyes:

Last edited:
My leases have to satisfy Native Title and pay compensation on them. As well as compensation to the land owner and rent to the Council and royalties to the State........
Except one because it was granted prior to 1971 from memory. (not fact checked)

My leases have to satisfy Native Title and pay compensation on them. As well as compensation to the land owner and rent to the Council and royalties to the State........
Except one because it was granted prior to 1971 from memory. (not fact checked)
Actually was going to add Simmo that info placed may have had amendments made since originally put in place.

This arrived in the mail last week along with an accompanying letter.

View attachment 7863

Another document that I don't understand. It says for more information go to www.nntt.gov.au but that website doesn't work.
Looking at what you received MB it at this stage is an invitation to become an interested party to the determination. It will only possibly affect you if you own any leases or land on the marked areas of the application. If so maybe contact [email protected] to get advice on how it might affect your lease/s if determination is successful.
I would also consider getting some legal advice to better explain the process + possible outcomes &/or filing Form 5 to register your interest. At least then you'll be able to keep up to date on the determination proceedings as a minimum.

Looking at what you received MB it at this stage is an invitation to become an interested party to the determination. It will only possibly affect you if you own any leases or land on the marked areas of the application. If so maybe contact [email protected] to get advice on how it might affect your lease/s if determination is successful.
I would also consider getting some legal advice to better explain the process + possible outcomes &/or filing Form 5 to register your interest. At least then you'll be able to keep up to date on the determination proceedings as a minimum.

Thanks Matt, yes it says I've been identified as an interested party. I've emailed the letter and map to the Native Title liaison officer who dropped in here last Sunday to assist with some paperwork we always struggle with. He warned me of current challenges we are about to face and his advice was to not sign anything without good advice. Hopefully he'll come back to me in time to respond.

By the way, the same guy informed me that the Meekatharra department of mines no longer exists. I'm told the doors have closed for good and they had no warning it was coming :(

Hi all, WA boy here, mainly read this forum, may have posted a while back.
The problem with Cue is every tenement is a P as with many gold bearing towns, fair enough for a the fellow having a crack, but when company's peg a large amounts of P leases. I think this is their own undoing.

Latest posts