Mozzies And Fly Status GT Vic.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi folks,

tell me about the situation currently on the mozzies and flys are they bad up in the Maryborough, Dunolly etc..... areas whats it like please let me know thanks

Yeah their definitely out at this time every year, so in a nutshell it's a seasonal certainty. As for how bad they are it depends on the day and the weather. Haven't had too much issues with mozzies this year apart from the odd swarm flies on the other hand have been thick. The March flies are bloody everywhere at the moment.

Not sure why but every town I've spent time in lately (last fortnight) has plenty of wasps. Every hardware in Mitchell Shire has sold out of traps and bait, must be due to the weather definitely not the same year on year.

Ive heard from some mates up at dunolly that the mozzies are ramping up now due to the wet we had and the weather still mild which is perfect for the mozzies and march flys are bad this year. They said its best to wait till late in april when it cools off heaps and sort of drys up.
The ground they said yesterday is wet and the vegetation growth is pretty thick.
The wet ground will probably cause a bit of havoc with detectors.

I have never seen the March flies this bad EVER. Mind you I haven't been bitten, they seem more obsessed with the car than me.... As for the mozzies, if you don't want to be bitten, just bring me along. They go crazy for me, I have to put Bushman's on every 2 hrs so I don't go insane....

March flies are off the chart this year in central Vic. Have never ever had them around our home. But this year they are.
Never seen them so bad. Mozzies too. In fact, true, was bitten by mozzies a few weeks ago just watering my garden. No biggy huh! Days later a bite, was confirmed too... Got infected and was crazy. Saucer sized infection area that the Dr thought was bad. Was put on antibiotics and steroid cream. Even hurt, on my calf, to walk. I thought I had that mozzie skin ulcer thing they were warning about near the coast. So did my Dr. Ross River is an issue now in all of Vic. A mate had it here in Central Vic just 2 yrs ago and it floored him for a year. Spray yourselves people. Ross River is in central Vic and who knows what that was that I got. I can tell you, mine was ultra painful and didn't look good. Think I'll bear the scar for a?while to come. Be warned.

They're pretty thick at the moment. In previous years I ended up with pretty significant swelling from their bites, so did a bit of research.

Apparently they have sharp piercing mouth parts that they use to actually chew a hole in your skin. Anticoagulants and chemicals in the flys saliva prevent our blood from clotting while they slurp it up. T.

March flies are attracted to dark blue, so it is advisable to avoid wearing blue and other dark colours. Light-coloured, loose fitting clothing will provide some protection when March flies are present.

Insect repellents containing DEET or picaridin are the most effective. I personally use Bushmans spray. When using a detector, the hands seem to cop a lot of bites, so I always remember to give them a good spray.

They can produce an allergic reaction so taking an antihistamine if you get reaction is advisable.

They're bastards!

Mozzies are worse around the old diggings that hold stagnant water. I try to avoid them by detecting further up in the scrub.

The flies have been thick this season, haven't noticed the mozzies as much though.

As Ive got wiser...um, I mean older - I have become almost allergic to all insect bites and have to take antihistamines as a part of my prospecting kit :(

Out of all the places we go, Creswick has the most viscous bull ants - big buggers with red heads. I have been attacked there twice now, the most recent needed antibiotics and cortisone to treat the wounds. The wife is astonished as only at this place, the literally jump and attack me, I must look like a detectorist about to dig their home? :lol:

P.S. I second Bushmans!

March flies around Heathcote were pretty dense a couple of weeks ago. Seemed to be attracted to the heat from the engine rather than us though which was good. Found my first speccie though, so didn't notice them so much after that!

Paid my first visit to Creswick couple of weeks ago. Had been down to Warrnambool for the Victorian Sprintcar Championship, stayed overnight in Warrnambool & decided to take in some detecting on the way home. Creswick seemed to be sort of on "A' way home. Decided on a spot from a "Tully" map & off we headed.

Very surprised to find it was all Pine Forest when we got there. The bit I had selected from the map
was a fairly immature forest & you couldn't walk between the trees - never mind detect. We drove around a bit & although we found some more mature forest, I didn't really fancy it. I just imagine there would be so many tree roots, it would be very difficult. Does anybody detect in these areas?

March flys have been crazy this year, and huge too. The current bout of wet weather seems to have flattened them???. The mozzies however are loving the water and are thick everywhere.
Jim. :mad: :rolleyes: :/

Was out last Saturday just before evening for a while. A few horse flies around but they left me alone. Maybe it was my cologne? :p :lol:

1616574357_20210319_181950.jpg

SCOOPY said:
Paid my first visit to Creswick couple of weeks ago. Had been down to Warrnambool for the Victorian Sprintcar Championship, stayed overnight in Warrnambool & decided to take in some detecting on the way home. Creswick seemed to be sort of on "A' way home. Decided on a spot from a "Tully" map & off we headed.

Very surprised to find it was all Pine Forest when we got there. The bit I had selected from the map
was a fairly immature forest & you couldn't walk between the trees - never mind detect. We drove around a bit & although we found some more mature forest, I didn't really fancy it. I just imagine there would be so many tree roots, it would be very difficult. Does anybody detect in these areas?

I have detected in Creswick a fair bit. Some pine areas up there are really dense while others open up. Those pine areas almost extend back down towards Nerrina near Ballarat. Couple of nice areas I have found but there is a lot of ground to cover. A couple of pine areas I didnt even look at as they were far too dense & thick.

Just watch out in a couple of spots if you have the Tully book as there are some nice hidden deep holes.

Those little mosquito bite clickers work a treat, as long as you zap the bite as soon as it happens. Just put it on the bite and click it a few times. Used one a few times in the last week or so while camping and, if you get to it in time, the bite virtually disappears. Something to do with preventing the release of the histamines that cause the swelling. Can recommend!

Latest posts