Location of Mines

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone assist. I'm writing a biography about a mine manager and would like to see if there are any remnants of the following mines. Can anyone enlighten me to their exact locations. Dates 1858 - 1893

Clunes Quartz Mining Company . Was it close to the Port Phillip Company that they became a co-operative.
British Workman Quartz Gold Mining Company - near Ballarat
Success Quartz and Alluvial Gold Mining Company - near Ballarat
Energetic Quartz Mining Company - near Ballarat
Golden Empire Company - Pitfield and Scarsdale
Monitor Gold Mining Company - reef between Inkerman and Golden Point leads
Kangaroo Bob Quartz Company - Gordons
New Garibaldi Quartz Company - Blackwood
Queen Victoria Quartz Mining Company - Canadian
Buninyong Estate Company - north east of Scotchmans through Learmonths Estate
Chiltern Valley Consuls - Rutherglen

Thanks

Im pretty sure that you would be able to locate the Chiltern valley Consuls mullock dumps by checking the parish plan maps for that area. The Chiltern atheneum Museum is a wealth of knowledge and a good place to start. Lots of old photos of mines in the area. You may even find one of the subject.

Hi Shirley,

Not sure if you have researched these, but the Victorian Gov't Gazettes published 1851-1901 may include some useful information on the Mining Lease applications of the companies you list.

For example, in one gazette notes Energetic Quartz Mining Co as holders of Mining Lease No's 203, 1356 and 1413.

30lctjp.jpg

Further investigation on these lease numbers may reveal the specific locations you seek!

http://gazette.slv.vic.gov.au/images/1868/V/index/9.pdf

http://www.findmypast.com.au/articl...istory/victorian-government-gazette-1851-1901

Good luck in your search!

Meta ;)

I would try Trove in the short time I looked, I found New Garibaldi Quartz Company - Blackwood, Clunes Quartz Mining Company and British Workman Quartz Gold Mining Company - near Ballarat
cheers Wayne

limpalot said:
Hi Shirleyx,
Came across this site today, Geological survey of Victoria search assistant, has old mines and maps.
Cheers All.

I cant find any old maps of mine locations at this site.....can you post a link?

Thanks everyone

I've been through the gazettes and newspaper articles and have consulted Dickers reports so have a lot of information about the mines William was associated with in the Ballarat district.

I've yet to search the maps at Ballarat but that will be no problem. I can get a rough idea of where the mines are but again I would like to know if there is anything to find before driving all over. I once spent a whole day searching for the property William owned - as nothing remained to indicate where the house was - it is all just pasture now but I managed to get an idea from his descriptions in his letters - I suspect prospecting is just like that - and back in the 1850s I can only imagine how the miners even knew how to locate a suitable place to dig.

Rutherglen is just a bit far to travel if they don't have information, however I have been in touch with the Chiltern Atheneum Museum and they have replied and will do some research for me and if there is anything to find I will try to make the trip to photograph the remains.

I'm so pleased I happened across this forum - for a non prospector I can get a better understanding of what I am trying to research and write.

Cheers
ShirleyX

Found the geological maps - going through them - found a number of locations of Ballarat mines - remains will most likely never be found unless someone decides to dig under the main streets. Even found one in the Sovereign Hill grounds - wonder if they will let me dig :/

ShirleyX said:
Found the geological maps - going through them - found a number of locations of Ballarat mines - remains will most likely never be found unless someone decides to dig under the main streets. Even found one in the Sovereign Hill grounds - wonder if they will let me dig :/

Gday ShirleyX,
I believe the mine in Sovereign Hill has already been found,
When they were making the tourist mine, they dug the tunnel right into the side of the original mine at about the 80 foot Mark.
You can see the elevator shaft when you do the tour.
Cheers Steve

Hi Metamorphic,
Just under Geovic, Search tool. Go to Access the earth resource assistant.
You have to type in an area or name, it will give you a number to a list of files; scroll down and click the download in the config you want.
Takes a bit to get your head around, but well worth it.
Cheers LL.

I was at sovereign hill last week. The red hill mine goes down a thousand feet and tunnels, drives going all over the place, it's was fascinating, worth a look for sure.

The tourist mine is the old mine, but only the top sections; I went down 80 ft to the visitors mine back in the early 1990's, was fantastic. I here they have a deaper tunnel and a resterant down there now; pritty pricy to go down now. Back then they were still mining at the 1200 ft level.
Cheers LL

g'day.
ive had the same issues,looking for old mines/shafts/adits. my best info has come from old newspaper articles and then maps , topo or satelite.there is a garibaldi reef near greendale on greenhills rd about 4 klm from ballan greendale rd.
:pickshovel:

Latest posts