Just Saying Gudday!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys. Thought I'd introduce myself since I am stalking these forums during the daylight hours.

Just moved to Canberra to start a new job and decided to get into an outdoor activity with the family. Went fossicking with my old man around Oberon once or twice as a lad and still have a jar with 20 or so sapphires in it. Enjoyed it back then and have been trying to coax my dad into going again but he shows little interest. So I convinced the missus and kids to give it a go last weekend (after my sieves and stuff arrived from Aussie Sapphire \o/). Went to Grabben Gullen but only found a couple sapphires at the public fossicking area. Was hard to keep the family engaged.

Definitely want to get out and find many different rock and mineral samples (especially Quartz crystals - love seeing samples of Amethyst and Smokey Quartz).

Anyway I will be heading over to the Canberra Lapidary Club next Thursday to meet and learn from like-minded people and hopefully become more invested in this activity. Just need to offload my Commodore and acquire a 4WD then I'll be ready to go exploring.... :)

Cheers!

Hi Parawraith, and welcome to the forum mate, GG can be tricky at times ill be heading down on sunday for a play myself.

the forum has quite a few post on GG to get you inspired for a dig.
Cheers
Ryan

Hi Parawaith. Welcome to the forum and good luck getting some gemstones. I'm also from Canberra and although I never had a chance to get out, can point you in the direction where to find some reasonably close to Canberra. Send me a PM once you reach 10 messages. Cheers

Hopefully I'll get out to the club on Thursday as well,
I've got a 4WD and would like to get out more, maybe we could work something out in the meantime if you're interested
Fossicking seems to be replacing my other main hobby :| :)

Jayden

Sounds good Jaydo. I am currently looking at a 1993 80 Series Land Cruiser and will probably take it for a test run this weekend.

I am hoping to get out a bit and find different specimens, not just limiting myself to Sapphires and such.

So whats the other 'main hobby'???

Para!

Para
The other hobby is bowhunting,
I got into fossicking i guess cause i got some opal rough and thought it'd be pretty cool to find that in lighting ridge or another place,
but i found out about more to do with it because i hunt mostly state forests with the DPI permit.
Once i found out that you could also fossick for gold or sapphires etc in the forests i thought it would be pretty cool to do some of that in the downtime or if hunting wasn't working out.

Only problem is now im trying to juggle which weekends i chase deer and which weekends i spend digging :)

Met the people at Canberra Lapidary Club yesterday. Friendly bunch that were quite forthcoming with advice for a newbie like me. A few other new members also so hoping to build a rapport with like-minded people to get out and about with. Looking forward to the first day trip for the year.

Cheers!

Latest posts