Home made fly traps

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Heading up to the cabin tonight for 12 days of detecting and I was just prepping my home made fly traps. Thought I would share this and see if there are any other ideas or recipes. ( got the upside down bottle idea off the net originally)

Cut an empty 2 litre clear plastic soft drink bottle. The bottom half should be larger than the top. Making the cut about a 1/4 of the way down the bottle.
Remove the cap from the top of the bottle and turn it upside down.
Place the bait in the bottom of the bottle - I use meat with blood and bone mixed with water. You can use anything that is rotting (fruit etc).
Put the upside down, open end of the bottle inside the bottom half to create a funnel.
Tape the two halves of the bottle together so they stay secure.
As it has rotting meat and eventually stinks - don't have it to close to the BBQ or back door when using.
These are also handy around the old compost bin.
When full - chuck the whole lot in the bin.
I see you can buy commercial ones for about $10 - this is just slightly more cheaper!! (You don't even have to buy a drink - there are plenty thrown away by the side of the road. Dead roo is good for bait - ever seen one with the 1,000s of flies hanging around them. Also good yabby bait)

This link has pics that explain it better - http://frugalliving.about.com/od/pestcontrol/ss/How-To-Make-A-Fly-Trap_4.htm.

Anyway - just a quick el cheapo tip.

the best thing i took with me to WA was a fly net to cover my face

but your idea sounds great ... so how many of those do i have to hang off the brim of my akubra ?

;)

seriously thanks for the flytrap reminder Loamer

I use the same idea for mozzies at home, instead of meat i use a mixture of yeast and sugar, i also got the idea off the net, theres a swamp area not far from my place and as it gets closer to summer the mozzies get thicker... thanks for sharing loamer

Latest posts