Help identifying can opener

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day all,

I found this can opener about 10km west of Cue whilst detecting and I reckon its probably worth more than the 0.21 gram nugget that I found after 10 days there :argh:

I have found many images of Bully Beef can openers on the internet which seem to be a simialr style. But I was only able to find one image with a Ducks head, and it was on an auction site in the UK that you needed to log onto.

It was suggested that I try the Kalgoorlie/Boulder historical society, which I did, and they were unable to help me.

1638953589_img_20211021_174625346.jpg

1638952735_img_20211021_190341812.jpg

Any ideas on where to look would be appreciated.

thanks
David
trying to contact you, don't know how. I collect your cast iron can openers, pay hundreds ! my email is [Mod edit: For member security, personal contact details are not allowed on the forum] Wayne Gade. Gades.

Last edited by a moderator:
trying to contact you, don't know how. I collect your cast iron can openers, pay hundreds ! my email is [Mod edit: For member security, personal contact details are not allowed on the forum] Wayne Gade. Gades.
Hi Gades
I have one of these or close to the same :D
Will have a look for it this arvo & send you a pic 👍

dam it. cant wait for pics. im not used to site and don't know how to contact members or get or give fines and emails, Wayne.

thanks, can you post fotos of cast can opener on this site for me to see, cheers, Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been away with limited internet access.

Unfortunately I have both cleaned it with a wire brush and soaked it in vinegar like it was suggested on the forum. It is now dull black and looked much better in the photos I posted :(

I wasn’t planning on selling it, just interested in finding out what I could about it as I soon realised that it was fairly rare.

cheers
Pecky

would $200 change your mind for your piece of rusty gold now its black !!! (can opener), cheers, Wayne

Could not find the other one .
But did this .
yes, I have several in different sizes. believed to be the GAURD opener Queen Victoria commissioned for all the troopers in South Africa in the 1800's. Cans were opened by hammer and chisel that troopers did not have so often broke bayonets, and were injured, or were often shot to open, heard and located by the Boers, Boer farmers, and lookouts. Cans were solid them days, and welded shut. Cheers.

Here's one I found. It's a Lane brand. Pre ring pull, going by the beer can piercer on it. Probably 1960s. IMG_20230508_233331_1.jpgIMG_20230508_233631_2 (1).jpgIMG_20230508_233529_1.jpg

Here's one I found. It's a Lane brand. Pre ring pull, going by the beer can piercer on it. Probably 1960s. View attachment 9609

View attachment 9610View attachment 9611
great find, a premier model. lane is a common maker. Post war with the new steel cans before the flip top aluminium.
a must for a prospector. you must keep a few tinnies in the buckboard or ute rolling around in the sun. For when you are drunken driving and drop your ciggie setting fire to your seat covers, or your exhaust or brakes setting fire to the grass, of a gust of wind stealing a flame from your campfire and applying the scorched earth policy to the land, you grab the Lane or the Presto, and a hot tinnie and prick the top and presto, a fire extinguisher. Instead of thumping around in your boots (or early morning bare feet) to put out the fire and scaring all the goannas, galahs, roos and rabbits for 20 mile and no tucker left except koalas. a hot six pack can make you a path through a bush fire, but keep one to drink on the other side. But remember to take the Lane.
Gadey.

Last edited by a moderator:
a bulls head n others sold at auction...for yer interest

Attachments

• Capture opener.PNG
    Capture opener.PNG
    51.1 KB · Views: 0
good buy, the tags alone are worth that. bulls heads are advertised for 15 bucks to 750, but you can ask anything. buying is no problem, selling is almost impossible. They say auctions make market value, but thats auction speak and bull.... if you follow something you can get a good average and go by condition, cheers

these old piles of rusty cans or old camp fires that you largely ignore, all had can openers there at one stage, many are left on a log or in the fork of a tree. keep your eyes open above ground as well. the one with the label is Colonel Roosevelts (later President) he had in his African Campaign. Rusty Gold ! I found a beautiful ww2 pocket knife in a prisoner of war camp made of railway sleepers on the nullabor, just sitting on a sleeper. Cheers, Wayne

Attachments

• image-2.png
    image-2.png
    491.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8960-1.JPG
    IMG_8960-1.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 0
  • sea creature.jpg
    sea creature.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Windows Photo Gallery0174.JPG
    Windows Photo Gallery0174.JPG