GPX5000 S-Shaft mod - Completed!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben78

Ben
Reaction score
Well this isn't something I thought I'd ever do but a couple of months ago a mongrel bastard arsehole sold me a fake Fisher Gold Bug. As a result I was left with a set of coils, a shaft and a non functioning detector.... Fast forward a few weeks I bought a Fisher F5 and the fake coils function almost perfectly on it. I was packing up the detector today for the trip and something that has always annoyed me is the length of the main shaft, I looked at it in the cupboard next to the FGB shaft which is a 3 piece design and thought 'what the heck' so a few holes drilled, one of the wife's cutting boards shortened and I have a functional S-Shaft set up - and on initial handling I have to say it's quite nice! feels better than the stock setup already. So I'll give it a good run next week and report back.

Mods required
Drill two holes for arm cuff
Cut a piece of plastic and drill 15mm hole and two 5mm holes to mount GB button
Remove cheapo hand grip and slide the GPX grip on the shaft

Thats it, took me maybe an hour and now it packs up more compact too!

1397357173_gpxsshaft.jpg

1397357186_button.jpg

Looks like a Ferrari engine in a VW...... :p Hope it's comfy and works well. Sucks about the Goldbug, that's the first I've heard of Fisher fakes. What a lowlife!

Yep, fake Gold Bugs and fake Teknetics T2's basically anything highend or claiming to be a gold detector gets faked :/

Was the first I heard too - until I went looking after I received it

I now have crossed COD as a acceptable method of payment off my list. COD can't be paid by credit card which means you don't get counterfeit protection afforded by your credit card provider. Paypal is truly the safest method of payment for goods via the internet, you just have to follow Paypals rules.

*Pay by a payment that YOU have generated (don't pay the sellers invoice)
*Pay using a single payment (don't pay a deposit then the rest later)

After I received it I emailed the serial to Fisher who confirmed it was a correct serial. I then posted the control box to Fisher who informed me it was fake. They didn't return it to me - thing is it was actually super hot on small gold, 0.03g gave a solid signal at an inch. Coin sized objects had no depth and it was very chattery. Major issue was the ground balance didn't work - the numbers changed but the actual ground balance point never moved. This meant it was unusable in the goldfields.

Really hard too when the serials are correct. From evilbay? Yeah I'm always very careful purchasing that way, have heard of some seriously expensive mistakes with audio gear and ebay. I've been pretty lucky so far not getting ripped.

No, it was Gumtree. That's why the guy didn't have paypal he has a history of ripping people off.

Latest posts