Giant Spider fossil Gulgong NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not super huge, as Monodontium are usually pretty small, but it's still the second-largest spider fossil ever found, globally. Megamonodontium mccluskyi's body measures 23.31 millimeters, or just under an inch. With its legs spread, it might fit comfortably into the palm of your hand.
Well that takes the "giant" down a peg or three.
I was expecting it to be like small dog size.
Still a good find & 2nd biggest spider fossil ever found globally so I guess the description got carried away a bit.

were they about the size of a 20 to 50 cent piece dave (when they enclosed themselves )
and when poked with a stick they would give charlotte the huntsman a run for her money :oops::eek:
I reckon they were the size of dinner plates Grumpy, mind you, I was terrified of spiders, when I was a kid I had no trouble handling snakes but I'd run a mile from a spider, the first time I climbed up the tree to pick some mango's, I fell out of the tree when I saw them, and there was heaps of them, I never climbed the tree again, I got a ladder and used a rake to rip the mango's off.🥭

Latest posts