Gday from Lexton

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey folks! My names Jim, i live close to lexton with my partner, Taylor and 2 dogs but I've been around central vic most of my life. Been a great lover of the bush since before I can remember, fishing, four wheel driving and exploring. However I've only ever been curious about gold, tried panning a few times but to no avail..

Til 6 months or so ago when a workmate of mine invited me out to check out how he goes about panning and sluicing. My first pan that day from a little crevice in Slatey Creek turned out a little flake of gold about the size of a matchstick head and from there, the fever started!

We've been loving everything about it! The exploring, the time out bush with no agenda, the stuff you'd never see if not for the search of gold and then the icing on the cake when the gold appears in the pan... perfect!

We only pan at this stage and this time of year, its a lot of lugging buckets.. but luck has been improving! Today saw our biggest find in the pan yet, weighing .11 of a gram i was pretty stoked when it showed up amongst the black sand! And with more time out bush, the results are getting more consistent (albeit nowhere near that big)

Looking forward to learning and sharing my experiences as they come! I had no idea there was such a community online til the last couple days so I'm keen to see what its all about.

Hope i see yas out there somewhere! Ill try and work out how to upload a pic or 2 from recent trips too :)

G'day Jimmygub welcome to PA :Y: it's a great forum get up your 10 post's and the members section will open up then you can join in the meet ups and all the fun that comes with them. Lexton is a beautiful part of the world, lucky man. Keep it up and enjoy the fun.

Thanks RM! Very lucky to be smack bang in the middle of it in such a pretty place mate I'm hugely grateful for it and i feel a bit daft having had it all so close but been so oblivious hahaha. Ill get onto it man I'll be out and about a bit so ill share things as i go. Thanks for the welcome!

Sounds great Jim, just jump in on a thread or start a new one and ask any questions you'll get replies to give options. Another way to answer your questions is to use the search option top left, there's plenty of information for you to work with no matter how old the posts are.

Sounds spot on mate, just browsing yesterday gave me good ideas that paid off today i think! I'll find what it was and credit whoever it was when i do! Had to get amongst it after that tho, good to know theres so many like minded people!

Thanks clint, my ol hometown mate! Grew up in beauie at least for the most part. Will see you round for sure!

Thanks for the welcome Jaros!

Here's a couple from recent antics, will share a couple more of the general stuff about us soon. seems you can only upload a couple at a time? Just for future reference, not much more to show yet!

The pickers my best one yet and it came from the right hand side of the little gutter. Gold seems to be a bit random in this gully, not so much right down the bottom which had me a little surprised. But the more i work it l, the less "random" the gold is. This little dry creek near creswick is teaching me a lot!

1543986371_1543986046827535.jpg

1543986372_1543986045149229.jpg

Cheers guys! All the best to you too Natoli :) Will keep yas posted. Nothing to write home about today although i did find what i think is a tiny little bit of zircon, or maybe sapphire?

1544001564_screenshot_20181205-201639_gallery.jpg

odd to see blue in the pan. Tiny, but interesting!

Latest posts