Garrett Axiom issue & video

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So had a look on YouTube and the guy that had issues had a dud unit. Hope for you guys getting one that its uncommon.

Anybody know who Gone Bush is? He said he's looking forward to getting an aftermarket coil and states that the aftermarket coil on the 6000 makes the threshold to target difference more like the Axiom. Perhaps the biggest difference between the detectors is the coil, the aftermarket coil on the Axiom might not gain anything.

I like the tone adjustment. I always have my 4500 tone changed from the default 50 to 40 and it makes a huge difference for me. I also have my 2300 on the low tone and I find that I can more easily identify a target. I miss not having a tone adjustment on the 6000.

Anybody know who Gone Bush is?
He's said his name is Ray and he's obviously from Kalgoorlie. If it's the bloke I'm thinking of, he's been around forever in the Eastern Goldfields and I'd be surprised if you don't already know of him, especially since he's mentioned 'around Cue' as one of the areas that he's active in.

Anybody know who Gone Bush is? He said he's looking forward to getting an aftermarket coil and states that the aftermarket coil on the 6000 makes the threshold to target difference more like the Axiom. Perhaps the biggest difference between the detectors is the coil, the aftermarket coil on the Axiom might not gain anything.

I like the tone adjustment. I always have my 4500 tone changed from the default 50 to 40 and it makes a huge difference for me. I also have my 2300 on the low tone and I find that I can more easily identify a target. I miss not having a tone adjustment on the 6000.
Yeah I found for my ears the real low tones enhanced and gave a more defined signal response to dropping tones, deeper larger targets. Iv never even seen a 6000 or held one but no tone adjustment on it is stupid.

He's said his name is Ray and he's obviously from Kalgoorlie. If it's the bloke I'm thinking of, he's been around forever in the Eastern Goldfields and I'd be surprised if you don't already know of him, especially since he's mentioned 'around Cue' as one of the areas that he's active in.

No I don't think I know him but by his videos he has a lease here in Cue. The only Ray who comes to mind is Ray Attard the ex-Minelab dealer from Karratha but it's not him. I've never met Udo but perhaps its time.

A fella in WA documented his Axiom purchase here https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/21131-issue-with-axiom-and-ground-noise/

Ended up that the unit died and had to be replaced. He has been really happy with it though when it has been working properly.

He also updates that there were no WR-1 wireless receiver units in Australia but now Garrett Australia are ordering some in

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/21639-garrett-please-explain……/
Do yourself a favor and steer clear of the Garrett Axiom. Especially if you have mineralised grounds. I have had one coil replaced and sent the whole unit back twice now. The ground balance is terrible, the mono is noisy - was definitely NOT made for Australian conditions. I run tests with the wife's 6000 and it comes nowhere near it. Way overpriced, should have been an entry level detector at around $2-$3000. Not sure if I got a faulty one to but is hasn't ran well once in the last 7 months prospecting for more than 30 minutes at a time before just losing it's shit. Waiting to hear back from Garrett......again on it's status. They already had it once for a month with no fault found??? The only good thing I can say about them is they are super light weight and the ergonomics are 100% spot on, great battery life- that's it. Yes, I've found a couple of bits of gold, while my wife rakes it in with the GPX 6000.

Stick to Minelab GPX 6000 it's a great machine and Minelab admit and address it's initial problems. Put the 10x5" Coiltek on and go prospecting/detecting.

Latest posts