Early 4500 vs later model 4500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been trying to research what my next detector will be, not much info (except from one online source) on the difference between the two. Between the two, the cost difference is no issue. According to what little info I found, the older model goes deeper but the newer model was quieter but not as deep. Anyone use the two? Was the old version noisy? The 4000 were very quiet in WA, so I would think the 4500, even the early ones would have been just as quiet?!

I think the key words in your post are “according to what little info I found”. Around that time that Minelab changed to offshore manufacturing and there were claims that the newer 4500s were not as good or deep as the older Australian made versions. These claims seemed to be associated with aussies unhappy with the change to offshore manufacturing or with promoters of detector mods offering “more depth”. These opinions gained a lot of belief amongst the cohort of “older 4500 owners“. I cannot remember then or see now any authenticated depth comparisons showing figures that could be independently replicated as should be possible to establish the truth of any opinion or claim.
I owned an early 4500 and it was a great machine for its time and it found me much gold, Nugget finding conditions are much tougher now and I wouldn’t necessarily expect the same success with a 4500 today and now run a 5000 which was the immediate successor to the last of the 4500s.
I cannot honestly say I have noticed any appreciable difference in depth between the 4500 and the 5000 but the latter seems more versatile with expanded and new settings and being definitely a tad quieter (my opinion there).
My recommendation would be to not get put off with unsupported depth claims (coil size is the main determinant there) go for the detector in the best condition and value in you circumstances.

Thanks for all your help, I have purchased a 4500, came with three coils, I think it's an earlier model. There is a (slight) constant pitched noise coming from both the control box and the stock battery. When switching to enhanced the noise becomes slightly higher in pitch. I can still detect like this, but I hope the detector's good. Is this normal for a 4500?

I've tried changing coils and headphones, I don't have a spare battery. The battery lead has a split along the cable. but the internal wires are unharmed.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help, I have purchased a 4500, came with three coils, I think it's an earlier model. There is a (slight) constant pitched noise coming from both the control box and the stock battery. When switching to enhanced the noise becomes slightly higher in pitch. I can still detect like this, but I hope the detector's good. Is this normal for a 4500?

I've tried changing coils and headphones, I don't have a spare battery. The battery lead has a split along the cable. but the internal wires are unharmed.

Perhaps you need to check out a few youtube videos to understand the controls.

4500-1.JPG

You might be hearing the threshold that you adjust by the black knob so that you can just hear that base noise. You should be listening for a variation in the threshold that is repeatable each time you pass over the target.

These switch positions are important.
1. Make sure it is NOT switched to "Cancel". Select "M" for a mono coil, this the one (if Commander) with the round cable. Select Double D for the Commander coil with the out-of-round cable.
2. Most likely best to start in Fixed position.
3. Best to start in Enhanced.
4. Select "G" until you know better.

4500-2.JPG

I suggest you start by holding the On/Off button down on startup. Use the selection buttons to "Reset all settings" and run the detector in the default mode. It will find gold without fiddling with the range of adjustments available.

Good luck. You'll soon get the swing of it if you don't fiddle too much with the settings until you understand them.

Perhaps you need to check out a few youtube videos to understand the controls.

Thanks. Love you your detector looks, it shows that you've used it a lot and it must be for a reason. ;)

I have been using these since the 3000, have used the 2000, Extreeme, 3000, 4000, 4500 in past trips. I'm familiar with most settings though I can't remember if the 4500 had this issue (long time ago).

The threshold noise is independent of the noise I'm describing. This is an electrical noise coming from the box and the battery, it's a constant mid/high pitched noise, sounds like a current leak. It's not a noise coming through the headphones, you can hear it when you put your ear to the battery or the control box.

I have had this happen before, something similar, when I bought an aftermarket grey coiltek battery lead, weird. I'm not sure if it's the lead this time, will have to buy a second lead just to see.

I'd suspect it's transformer hum (don't know the official tech terminology for it, if any). I've got a microscope that does it and used to have a Colemen LED camping lantern that did it too. It can be damned annoying, like having a mozzie lurking around all the time, but I don't think it's anything to do with a current leak - just an aging transformer somewhere in the circuit.

If it is a control box issue, maybe just bite the bullet and send it back to Minelab for a service. Have sent a few back over the years and they were very good with their service and turnaround time.
In any event they should be your first port of call before spending any more money.

If you have good hearing and good headphones, you can hear a very high pitch hum when in Enhance. If the noise disappears when in Normal, then that's er.... normal.

If you have good hearing and good headphones, you can hear a very high pitch hum when in Enhance. If the noise disappears when in Normal, then that's er.... normal.
I can hear the high pitched noise in enhanced, when switching back to normal or any other setting, I hear a quieter lower pitched noise through the headphones but the noise is still there with the headphones off as I can also hear it coming from the control box and the battery.

I tried a brand new battery and cable, noise still there. I haven't taken it out to a more secluded area yet, just testing at home. I bench tested it at another place and it was much quieter so it's possible that electronics at local neighbourhood could be causing some issues. It's still a bit weird. Remember, this is noise coming from the box itself, not through the headphones, like a whinny TV screen.

Took my 4500 out for a spin, not easy here in Adelaide goldfields, bit of interference and a lot of scrub, used small coils only. The noise from the box/battery is still there (alongside ambient noise it's very faint) I could use it just fine and it seemed to run well. I don't think I'll get it serviced as it could have just been made that way. Doesn't seem to affect performance.

Latest posts