dry area fine gold extraction- centrifugal extractor

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for a diy centifugal type gold extractor for seperating fine gold from dry gold bearing dirt. the area we are prospecting has really fine gold in granite sand, but no water for miles and difficult terrain so taking enough water in for a sluice is very difficult. i was thinking about a leaf blower powered bucket vacuum, with the suction hose angled into the side of the bucket so as to create a swirling effect inside the bucket throwing the gold towards the side of the bucket, with the lighter dust/dirt getting sucked out the top! anyone tried a method like this? any thoughts or ideas would be great, cheers guys

naildigger said:
i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for a diy centifugal type gold extractor for seperating fine gold from dry gold bearing dirt. the area we are prospecting has really fine gold in granite sand, but no water for miles and difficult terrain so taking enough water in for a sluice is very difficult. i was thinking about a leaf blower powered bucket vacuum, with the suction hose angled into the side of the bucket so as to create a swirling effect inside the bucket throwing the gold towards the side of the bucket, with the lighter dust/dirt getting sucked out the top! anyone tried a method like this? any thoughts or ideas would be great, cheers guys
Hi naildigger,
Reinventing the dry gold process will more likely give more grief than return.
There is some great posts on Dry Blowing on the forum, with some fantastic DIY projects under construction as we speak.
There is two main methods of dry blowers
1. Below type and 2. Leaf blower(electro static)
I know very little about dry blowing so it's best you have a listen to the guys and girls that are using them.
I picked up my first component to start building a dry blower the other day.
Cheers Ryan

Naildigger
Mate a Dryblower is exactly what you need in your situation, it takes a lot of dirt & turns it into a manageable size concentrate that you can just take home & process further, but the dirt needs to be dry, Granite sands is almost the perfect material to dry blow due to the lack of clay etc.
cheers
Lee

thanks lee, it is really dry ground which helps sieving the big stuff out, we spent heaps of hours sieving and panning in a wheelbarrow full of water and got some nice little mini-nuggets, but seperating the super fine flour gold is hard with the dirty water in the barrow. im just trying to find a quicker and easier way of getting that without spending a fortune, and without trying to carry in heaps of water, or carrying out heaps of dirt to process elsewhere. a dry blower would be a great solution, il have to get out in the shed and see what i can come up with. cheers ND

Hi naildigger as ryan suggested have a read of some threads in the DIY and I would recommend watching a few videos , plenty on yutube , under drywasher or dryblower , some are very entertaining as well as informative
flash

naildigger said:

g'day mate
if you message jack out west he may have perfected his machine by now, looks like it will be the ducks guts when he's happy with it.
I have no idea how much they will cost or sizes
not sure how it will compare with a dry blower but will be fool proof to use.
regards tm

thanks tm, sounds very interesting this machine of jacks, fool proof sounds good to me. haha. ive been trying to think of a mechanical way of collecting and partly separating fine gold. being a mechanic i guess im always thinking of petrol powered devices to speed things up a bit. a few years ago i fitted a 2.5hp honda outboard to my kayak with remote control steering and throttle so i could go trolling for tuna of double island point(and to get away from sharks quicker ) i guess i cant help myself trying to reinvent the wheel, i should try the old technology 1st. ive built a sluice with a recirculating water supply but the water gets dirty real quick with the fine dirt. i look forward to see what jacks come up with though. cheers ND

Latest posts