Darwin Newbie

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, lovely forum.

I'm relatively new to the territory and just a baby when it comes to detectoring.

After months reading up on detectors, I took the plunge and bought a Minelab Equinox 800.

It arrived 2 weeks ago and I'm having fun with it, although I'm still learning how to use it.

Have taken it to the beach a few times. Have only found bottle caps and bits of metal. Well, as they say, its the journey and not the destination that matters!!

I'd love to find some relics initially before moving on to gold. I don't know where to start though!

Are there any areas near Darwin (say less than 50 km away) where I could detect for relics?

Many thanks in advance!

OzzieAu said:
Welcome Conundrum..... check out East Point, plenty of military history there.. :Y:

Hey Ozzie, took a drive out to East Point yesterday evening.

This is going to sound extremely silly. Whereabouts will I be allowed to detect? All the landmarks are signed and there are paths to go on a walk on. I'm worried about getting into trouble!

Cheers!

Hey pal, I was there over 40 years ago, I guess things have got a bit more civilised since then...going by Google maps I reckon you should be ok around the gun emplacements over towards the water... if in doubt ask a council worker. Otherwise give Lee Point a look, its a bit out of the way.
Also Mindil beach is a popular spot with night markets, should be some options there.
Cheers and happy hunting.
p.s. Its not only the detector that you need to learn about..its all the other does and donts ;)

You might want to be careful what you dig up at East Point because the gun placements there were the main target of the Japanese during the bombing raid on Darwin.There is a few stories of unexploded ordinance being found in Darwin.

Eldorado said:
You might want to be careful what you dig up at East Point because the gun placements there were the main target of the Japanese during the bombing raid on Darwin.There is a few stories of unexploded ordinance being found in Darwin.

Oh wow! Thanks for the warning!

Latest posts