Crows, cheeky/sly isn't the word.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightjar

Contributor Plus
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Checking the bearings/brakes/greasing the suspension on the the caravan before a trip and can you believe this happened?
Had removed both wheels on one side of van for easy access and left the wheel nuts on the brick surrounds of caravan stand.
Walked away to get another grease cartridge and a Crow decided one of the shiny chromed wheel nuts would impress his lovely!
Flew away with one, left me thinking a "Murder of Crows" is very apt, well there would have been if I could catch the mongrel. 🤬

This crow episode brings back memories of an incident at our bush camp years ago.
One evening while washing the days dishes we couldn't find one of the plastic handled forks. Gave up and just thought, it will turn up.
The fork was never found and a couple of days later a bread/butter knife disappeared?
Probably a better chance of winning lotto but my mate while wandering/swinging his detector a few days later came upon a "Bower Birds bower" about a kilometre from the camp.
You guessed it, there laying on the ground at the entrance of his "bower" was our knife & fork along with a collection of blue glass fragments, and other collections.

once when playing golf, a fellow golfer walked past asking if the crows had given us grief today, we all looked perplexed saying no.

Coupla holes later, my best drive of the day straight down the guts with a good 280 yards on it. Damn, just as I was putting my club back in the bag a bloody crow flew down and stole the ball !

I had a time with my wife where we were eating some nice fush and chups in Noosa and they came out of the trees and ripped off half our lunch....we should have a shotgun club!!!

Crows (and the entire Corvid family) are amazingly clever, they can also recognise individual humans, and remember if you’re nice to them. Always good to keep the neighbours on-side if you can…

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...xt=Crows are some of the,of what numbers are.
Crows can recognise individual people alright.I heard of one case where a man shot and killed a crow .Everywhere he went the surviving crows abused him loudly. Some time later, crows that had not even been alive when he killed that crow would still call out in alarm whenever he appeared.

This crow episode brings back memories of an incident at our bush camp years ago.
One evening while washing the days dishes we couldn't find one of the plastic handled forks. Gave up and just thought, it will turn up.
The fork was never found and a couple of days later a bread/butter knife disappeared?
Probably a better chance of winning lotto but my mate while wandering/swinging his detector a few days later came upon a "Bower Birds bower" about a kilometre from the camp.
You guessed it, there laying on the ground at the entrance of his "bower" was our knife & fork along with a collection of blue glass fragments, and other collections.
Something similar.
A station owner decided to check on a bower and saw a blue object there. On closer examination he realised it was the blue tag still attached to his car keys.
He hadn't even realised that he had dropped them and if they had not been collected by the bower bird he may never have found them.
It is interesting that the birds favour blue objects.

Latest posts